sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

Diagonals and barlow compatibility.

Hi helpful people.

I`m looking to buy a diagonal for my `scope and was wondering if this will affect my choice of Barlow in the future. It seems as if most Barlows are quite long and I was wondering if this length would clash with the mirror in the diagonal? <i>Or</i> can you mount the Barlow into the focuser and <i>then</i> the diagonal, with the eyepiece, in the Barlow?

Hi helpful people.

I`m looking to buy a diagonal for my `scope and was wondering if this will affect my choice of Barlow in the future. It seems as if most Barlows are quite long and I was wondering if this length would clash with the mirror in the diagonal? <i>Or</i> can you mount the Barlow into the focuser and <i>then</i> the diagonal, with the eyepiece, in the Barlow?

You can do it in any order but it still probably wont work. There is not enough focus travel inwards to cope with the extra distance that the light has to tavel if you put the diagonal in first and the Barlow in first will probably give too much magnification unless your targetting a planet.

Captain Chaos

Russ is right - they do not work at all.

The is nowhere near enough in focus for a dagonal.

The only time it might work is when you use it in conjunction with a barlow (lens only), and the diagonal replaces the barlow body.

Ant

Russ is right - they do not work at all.

The is nowhere near enough in focus for a dagonal.

The only time it might work is when you use it in conjunction with a barlow (lens only), and the diagonal replaces the barlow body.

Ant

Yeah. I have seen a diagonal in a Newt, but it was a prop on a television show, so I don't know if or how well it worked. I think a diagonal would make it harder to use my Newt, anyway. I like not having my face lying alongside the tube when I am observing. I got a RA finder so I would be able to have the same viewing comfort when using the finder as I do using the scope.

If you insist on doing it, you could unscrew the lens from the Barlow and screw it into the front end of the diagonal, as long as the diagonal is threaded for filters. With a 2x Barlow, this would give you about 3x magnification, but it would cover the problem of the focus travel.