SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

drawing the universe

:) Thanks for your kind comments. :p Although i was asked to help author 'Astronomical Sketching', i haven't read the book and can't give any comments on it, sorry.

Toby, there are certain techniques you can learn, like stippling for globular clusters, and using a blending stump for nebulae and galaxies. But the most important thing is to practice. You don't need to be an artist, goodness knows i'm not. I've never had any art training and am totally self-taught. If there's anything you'd like specific info on, please feel free to send me a PM, ok? :)

You don't need to be an artist, goodness knows i'm not. I've never had any art training and am totally self-taught.QUOTE]

I am art trained of many years and I couldn't agree more with Talitha, because even my "training" doesn't not make it easy to sketch objects and I struggle to capture things how I want.

Just remember whatever you decide to do that the more you do it the more you will find techniques that work for you. The better you will organise yourself to get the best out of your nights and in time you will start to tone your skills up. The best advice I was given was from my old art lecturer. "It's not the end of the world, it's just art."

Have fun!

Neil

Archived