Narrowband

Object appearance comparison document

george7378

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that document was one of the most informative reads i have had. im a new comer to this very addictive hobbie and have so far only been able to locate a few DSO's including m42, m81 and 82 and m13. strangly i have seen andromeda through bino's but cannot locate this at all with my scope!! the document as a comparison to the scope i use was spot on (skywatcher 130/900) 5.1 as well. i had lots of trouble trying to find new objects as all i had to go on was the great astrophotography images on the web and im magazines. as you can imagine trying to find something that looked like that is a no go! so this has given me such an insight as to what to look out for and what to expect. i really cannot thank you enough for this. this will help me extremely. yet again thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi George,

I've just found this thread and wanted to add my thanks for putting this together. As others have said, most newcomers are sensible enough to realise we're not going to see Hubble-like images through our scopes, but there's a HUGE gap between seeing nothing and seeing that kind of detail, so having something to give us some idea of what we should expect to see is really incredibly helpful.

... though I may have to start hiding the "appearance in 10" column... I'm most definitely getting a severe case of aperture fever reading that :)

Matsey :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't edit the original post but here's the link:

http://gkastro.0sites.org/Appearance%20comparisons.xls

My site moved a couple of months ago so the domainis changed.

Sorry I haven't updated it lately, but I haven't really done much astronomy at all because I am busy applying to university. I think it would be a really good idea to invite you guys to add little bits to it if you have used a 130mm telescope or a 250mm telescope to view any objects on the list.

Thanks!

Archived