Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Object appearance comparison document

george7378

I thought I would make a document comparing the appearance of various objects I have seen with my 5.1" scope and my new 10" scope so that people can get a feel for what kind of differences to expect. There are a lot of blank spaces, but it does the job for the objects I have currently observed. I will update it when I can. You can view it here:

http://gkastro.a60.us/Appearance%20comparisons.xls

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the nice comments - it's also a good incentive to try and complete the Messier list!

Very good idea. You must have very good skies as you seem to be able to pick out more detail with your 10 inch than I can though..

It reminded me of my old 5.1 inch scope as well!

Mark

I am lucky to have non-averted-vision-cygnus-rift type dark skies, but I would be interested to know if my descriptions differ a lot - what kind of things can't you see?

Thanks.

My skies are mag 5.5 so pretty good. I can see stars to mag 14 etc...but I for example cannot make out the dark lane in M31. Perhaps its me though and with a bit of practice and after seeing the dark lane in a 16 inch maybe I might then be able to pick it out..

Perhaps you could show me on a drawing where to look for the dark lane?

Mark

My skies are mag 5.5 so pretty good. I can see stars to mag 14 etc...but I for example cannot make out the dark lane in M31. Perhaps its me though and with a bit of practice and after seeing the dark lane in a 16 inch maybe I might then be able to pick it out..

Perhaps you could show me on a drawing where to look for the dark lane?

Mark

That's suprising - although the dust lanes are very hard to spot. I think I have seen both of the big ones, but I have only seen the second on a very clear, dark night. They appear with averted vision as a slight dark cut into the blurry nebulosity of the galaxy, and sometimes I have seen nebulosity both above and below the innermost one (the same night I spotted the outer one). This recent image from another member gives you a good idea of where to look:

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/45251d1288287386-my-first-dso-widefield-m31-very-much-progress-m31-101025-ps3-widefield-1024.jpg

That represents how they appear very well - just use averted vision and try and spot them next to the core.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A very nice comparison! but as i was reading it in work, i was emailing the boss and "attached" the wrong file.

He recieved it and was very quick to start taking the mick!

The office was full of laughter :) ahhh another day in the office.

other than this a good read lol

A very nice comparison! but as i was reading it in work, i was emailing the boss and "attached" the wrong file.

He recieved it and was very quick to start taking the mick!

The office was full of laughter :) ahhh another day in the office.

other than this a good read lol

Oh dear! Oh well, glad you enjoyed it ;) I will probably make some updates soon, as I have since seen a supernova, and some more Messier objects and NGC galaxies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What a great tool! I've got the bug to move up to 10" or 11" as quick as I can get the green light from my Chief Financial Officer. Not much chance to see anything other than the Moon, Saturn and the brightest stars from here in Shanghai but I'll be back where the air has no lumps in it soon. Thanks for taking the time to document your observations.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi George,

I love the document. I have a 5 inch and am looking in the future to upgrade to a 10 inch. So I can get a better understanding of the views I would get from where I live could you give an estimated naked eye limiting magnitude form where you live?

Thank you.

Archived