SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi all

hairymunky

Hi Paul,

Hope Santa was good to you and hope to get out for a few sessions in the new year- subject to better weather of course and getting rid of this awful cold I have, I'm drugged up to the max, does anybody know if copious quantities of beechams powder, paracetamol and ibuprofen are good or bad for your night vision? Certainly gives you strange dreams!!

Have a happy new year and clear skies to all.

Gary

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham, good to see someone else from kilie on the forum.

If the weather ever clears up we should get together, i have a good backyard, live in southcraigs but i tend to go to the eaglesham moor or there is a dark back road to stewarton. Been out a few times with Gizmo- Paul from east kilbride, and managed a session 1 week ago for the first time in months, I now feel recharged and ready for some cold nights - (I have read all the *beep* institute has to offer i need some practicals to go with all the theory!)

Anyway have a great Xmas and speak to you soon!

Gary

I'm out next to the hospital, and the light pollution is chronic!!!!!

Never thought about going over to the Eaglesham Moors (its a hell of a lot quieter now the M77s opened). Did think about going out the

gleniffer braes, but the thought of loading the LB into the car and spending all nite driving around finding a good spot keeps putting me off.

PS Is the "dark back road to stewarton" the one just before the m77, that takes you out by Rowallan Estate?

hi again graham,

yeah know what you mean about the full stadium lights out at crosshouse, i believe there are filters that can help- i am sure there was a thread about it recently. if you are ever heading up the old a77 take the eaglesham moor cut off and then take your first left, no more than half a mile is a no bad site with car space and only a bit of light poll from glasgow-been a few times and is good. Have contimplated going down to ayr as there is a well established soc but travelling puts me off but if you are interested, depending on what size scope you have (i have a 8 inch dob) we could go in one car even just to test the water check out their website looks quite good.

http://www.ayrastro.co.uk/

anyway weather pi-sh as you know, has got to the stage were i am even contemplating cleaning my mirror for want of something to do!

Have a nice New Year

Gary

Gary,

Someone else mentioned the soc down @ ayr. Thinking of going to the January meet, if I'm not stuck at work.

I think it would be a bit tight squeezing 2 8" dobs into one car. Would probably just take my trusty bins :lol:

The eaglesham site - would it be a layby on the main drag or do I turn off the main road...????? Thinking of going

up a run later on this week during daylight - just to get my bearings :)

Happy hogmanay

Graham

Hi Graham,

I believe they have a scope that was purchased from lottery funds (ayr soc.) so might be worth a run down on a Friday night (think that is when they meet?). Here is the street map location of the sight i have used with Paul if you are doing drive by.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=250310&y=648360&z=3&sv=250310,648360&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

How do you find the dobber? i got mine about a year ago and have to say i love the speed and flexibility that you get with it, i do look on with a degree of envy at some of the picture people produce but thats not even a consideration at moment, budget will not allow! Something for my retirement i think.

Would be nice to trade dobber stories and you should also check out the website started by gizmo aka Paul at the http://www.scottishastronomers.com/

speak to you soon.

Gary

Hi Graham n Gary,

Likewise, I'd recommend that spot that Gary mentioned. No, its not on the main road nor is is a layby so there's very minimal traffic. We've tried a few sites up there and that seems to be the best so far. I've also been down to a site beside Loch Doon which was nice and dark although it was over an hours drive from EK but certainly worth considering if theres a good chance of clear skies.

by all means feel free to mail me at: infoATscottishastronomers.com

We are not an astronomy club as such but just a small group set up for group observing sessions for safety and company

Cheers

Paul

Archived