PLEASE HELP!

MissClio

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Miss Clio

A warm welcome from me :)

Good advice about binos and Turn Left

Also consider the Philips Astro Box (northern hemisphere)

It includes several very good books , starmaps and

a planisphere (circular map of the sky that tells you what stars are where any day of the year )

Happy learning and most of all enjoy :)

The main thing I would say is patience. This is a hobby that takes time and you'll have plenty of that between good viewing moments to learn all you need.

The weather puts you on hold most of the time and you need to be flexible enough to "up and out" when the "seeing" is good.

Some objects only appear for a limited time once per year. So expect to spend several years building up a portfolio of stuff observed or imaged.

The rewards are great though once you've bagged that elusive object, or finally cracked that image you allways wanted. Just keep reminding yourself the stars have been around for 14 billion years and will allways be there tomorrow :)

Hi MissClio

Welcome to SGL and welcome to astronomy as a hobby, don't worry, everyone has to start somewhere. I agree with everyone here, get some books and a pair of 7x50 or 10x50. Also I'd recommend getting a planisphere. It's a disk shape star map with a circular star map on the base and a mask with a cut out on top. By turning the mask to the corresponding time and date, the planisphere will show you what is in the sky at that particular moment in time.

Hope you enjoy astronomy

Keith

Archived