Extra tall tripod/monopod thing for my binos

After trying and failing to find a reasonably priced tripod to hold my binos high enough up for me (I am...erm...waybig, well 6'4, after all), I ordered a light stand off ebay for just over a tenner, being careful to select one with a standard screw thread that a tripod head would fit on (there are similar ones sold as PA or speaker stands and heavier duty ones too if you prefer fewer wobbles).

Combined with a pan and tilt head I got from astroboot, it seems to make quite a good setup...steadier than my arms anyway

It's fairly sturdy when down low, for the kids, and pretty wobbly when up at ceiling height, but even though it's wobbly I can steady it sufficiently....

Did I hear someone say they wanted piccies...go on then here's one at kid level, and one at ceiling height

post-18426-133877501435_thumb.jpg

post-18426-13387750144_thumb.jpg

I tried a similar arrangement with a monopod. I got the binoculars above me by resting the monopod on the top of a handy garden wall (about one foot high).

The problem is that for higher elevations you still have to bend your neck back to look up, but at least it supports the weight of the binoculars. Next time I'll try the reclining chair and the monopod...

Archived