Now how did that happen?

I came into £50 today so I decided to go to the telescope shop and get a cheshire eyepiece so that I can finally collimate my scope accurately.

Turned out that he didn't have one in, but somehow I walked out (after quickly nipping home to check some reviews) with a second hand Baader Hyperion 8mm eyepiece :) Seemed like an offer I couldn't refuse...

Now when I upgrade my scope next year I'll have at least one decent eyepiece.... Still have to collimate my scope by eye though :D

pocket, money, hole, burning, in, your, A

Put these words into a sentence perhaps? :)

You're not the first, you won't be the last, i speak from experience. LOL!

Longterm i suspect you'll be pleased you did, a quality eyepiece or a collimator- Easy choice for me, the ep every time! :D

Besides, in the good old days we didn't have fancy collimation gagets- & you can still get it spot on with a "star test"

Always assuming of course,that the stars come out to play.

SiriusB - Absolutely! My excuse is that I have been looking at getting a TMB planetary in the 7-9mm range as they are very reasonable. The Hyperion just seemed like a step up for little extra. Especially as it can be a 6, 5 & 4.3mm eyepiece and a 2" 21.8mm eyepiece for little/no extra...

It's missing the leatherette pouch (no great loss) and the 'eyecup up' cap (I wear glasses so have the cup down), so I haven't paid for the bits that I don't need :D

Astrobaby - I've been using the lid of a 35mm film canister so far :)

I got to try out the eyepiece (and my latest recollimation) on Wednesday night, looking at Jupiter.

Stars appeared as points and the OOF blur (way too much turbulence for diffraction rings) was round. The last couple of times I've had crosses and ovals (astigmatism) so it looks like I've sorted the secondary position :)

The hyperion was beautiful to use (after a couple of minutes getting used to the eye positioning) :D It is so much wider than the Kelner 20mm that even with the higher mag I'm only having to move the scope about as often - With the higher mag it felt like it was only every 5 or 10 minutes that I was moving the scope. When the wife had a look "wow, that is wide.. and I can see the band on Jupiter..." :p Success :eek:

Still not much detail on Jupiter (NEB and Europa Shadow seen, but not defined), but the seeing from my back garden is poor. Not only am I looking over mine and my neighbours houses, but I am looking over pretty much the entire Worthing/Lancing connurbation :D

It got relly bad at one point, but when I looked up Jupiter was about 25degrees above my central heating chimney:rolleyes:

One day I will be bothered to walk up the hill to get darker/calmer skies...

Archived