Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

They did it then! Mini Big Bang in a test tube...

Tim

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the summary plot ref., George. I have to admit a lack of familiarity with the (now customary?) "Cheese and Lettuce" or "Brazilian" (soccer!) graphs. <G> But I think it fair to say one might "slightly worry when the solid line dips below 1.0". Or rather the possibilities become more constrained... :p

As you suggest, higher energies and increased total integrated luminosity are (always) needed. The experimental challenges are still formidable and the predictions model dependent etc. :D

For a longer read (re. methodology, terminology etc.):

Learn To Compute Higgs Limits On The Fly

Not too bad - Even for mere mortals. :)

If I had to wager money, I would bet that The LHC will find at least one Higgs particle, but I hope that completely new physics is found instead. There is hope (and some theorrtical evidence) that the LHC running at full power will give experimental results that can distinguish between:

1) a single Higgs particle, as predicted by the Minimal Standard Model;

2) several different Higgs particles, as predicted by supersymmetry;

3) a Higgs particle composed of more elementary particles (similar to protons being composed of quarks), as predicted by tecnhicolour;

4) some other mechanism (completely new physics) for the electroweak sector.

I would bet on 1), but I hope for 4). This possibility certainly cannot be ruled out, and it would be incredibly exciting! I think that many particle physicists would bet on 2).

Archived