SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Garden street light block / filter

jam1e1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to love that comment below the article;

"These stargazer nutters who support this madness are from another planet.

- Richo, Clacton, 10/11/2010 21:27"

Thanks for that Richo of Clackton, nowt like a bit of constructive debate!!! :)

Bet he's an astrologer !!! he he he

Have to love that comment below the article;

"These stargazer nutters who support this madness are from another planet.

- Richo, Clacton, 10/11/2010 21:27"

Thanks for that Richo of Clackton, nowt like a bit of constructive debate!!! :)

Bet he's an astrologer !!! he he he

Good Afternoon,

Following your email relating to lighting behind The Factory Shop. The Environment & Transport department have asked for more location information, so that they can locate and shade the offending lights. Please respond to this email, quoting Streetlighting reference 2088760 and advise us about the lamp numbers, road names, post code or any location details you are able to provide.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Jackie

Customer Service Direct

www.csduk.com

0845 606 6067

Stargazer Nutters unite!

Wrote to my local council this morning and got this reply let hope they do something about the dam things. Im not holding my breath just my air gun..:D

Thanks jam1e1. Since my council is not on that list at all, I have just sent them an email asking what their position is on this.

Oh, just got a reply from the council.

With regard to your email asking about whether street lights in Maidenhead will be switched off or dimmed, at present, there is no policy to switch off any lights. However, dimming has already been and will continue to be implemented.

Hi All,

See attached pictures for description, in summary:

Light = target to block

Ground = attachment to wedge device firmly in place

Shield = Light shield put together

Roughly 4m tall by 3m wide.

Advantages are:

- significantly darkens garden for observing

- cheap

- lightweight

- rolls up and easily stored away

- can be used in light winds

- parts can be bought from diy stores

- came to about £40 total for parts

Let me know if any questions or comments to improve design.

J

Very useful! Thanks

Hah hah! I've had enough too. Anyone know where I can get a 10mW laser in the UK? I know I can get something pretty powerful from Wicked Lasers in the US, but I don't want MI5 turning up at my door with the package :)

Hah hah! I've had enough too. Anyone know where I can get a 10mW laser in the UK? I know I can get something pretty powerful from Wicked Lasers in the US, but I don't want MI5 turning up at my door with the package :p

he he he, I can see the headlines now, "MI5 and police swat teams raid astronomers 'training camp', a spokesman said - astronomers attacks on public lighting are a bigger threat to national security than the camel s@~##&%$ al queerda" :D

I'd love to write something silly, joking about blowing the lights up but now-a-days that would definately have plod at my door, so I'd better not. :)

DLP - wow - thats just......dangerous!! Seen similar sites selling powerful lasers that pop black balloons - looks fun but wouldnt buy one personally as could see an accident happening!

Makron, Took some pictures from garden of before and after light shield - works quite well, see attached

post-21419-133877501628_thumb.jpg

post-21419-133877501635_thumb.jpg

Just had a look, they're pretty mental, can't see any european suppliers but I'll bet that every Ned in the country could probably get a hold of one! :D

We'll just have to educate them that burning street lights is acceptable vandalism as opposed to their usual hobby (in Aberdeen) with lasers of setting off aircraft warning systems. :)

I wrote to my local Council "Land Lighting" department over a year ago about a street light 3 metres from my back garden fence that floodlights my back garden and rear bedrooms with orange light. I requested that they install a downlighter or baffle to block the light from my property.

I got no reply, so i wrote again stating that I would speak to my local councillor if I got no response.

I got a response saying that they could not fit a baffle to the lamp due to it causing "light pooling" and that the public needed a well lit street. Strange that, I had wanted a baffle to stop light going onto my property, not the street. The Council said they would paint part of the light fitting. A year has passed and nothing has happened.

Learning point? Glasgow City Council have no interest in light pollution, waste money and don't do what they say.

I will consider a light shroud (as above), but have no respect for the lighting department of Glasgow City Council.

Tom

I wrote to my local Council "Land Lighting" department over a year ago about a street light 3 metres from my back garden fence that floodlights my back garden and rear bedrooms with orange light. I requested that they install a downlighter or baffle to block the light from my property.

I got no reply, so i wrote again stating that I would speak to my local councillor if I got no response.

I got a response saying that they could not fit a baffle to the lamp due to it causing "light pooling" and that the public needed a well lit street. Strange that, I had wanted a baffle to stop light going onto my property, not the street. The Council said they would paint part of the light fitting. A year has passed and nothing has happened.

Learning point? Glasgow City Council have no interest in light pollution, waste money and don't do what they say.

I will consider a light shroud (as above), but have no respect for the lighting department of Glasgow City Council.

Tom

Scottish councils and parliament in general mate, not just glasgow.

I rung my council (borough and county), to be fair they both came out to inspect - but its on 'privately' owned land so now taking up with land owners.....

Read another interesting idea, one guy wrote to council saying he was part of volunteers organisation that demonstrated astronomy to local schools...unless fixed light would write to local paper.... :)

• 10 months later...

Seriously people forget the air rifle or catapult ideas. The penalties for discharging any projectile weapon in a public place or within 50 feet of the centre of any public road, footpath or bridle way are VERY severe. I mean prison time in years is the harshest penalty.

Even if you are over 50 feet away from a public right of way, simply discharging your weapon on your own property and knowing or allowing the projectile to leave your property and cross someone elses or worse still a public space WILL see you locked up!

I used to be an air rifle hunter and so I do know a little about it.

Great idea, but I've read that there's a technical point with the UK's power stations. You can't simply switch them all off at night, as there has to be some reserve on the go at all times - and running street lights is one practical way to soak up this excess. :)

Andy

We need more of these

Dinorwig Power Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archived