Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Things that make you go *WOW*

Celeste

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest WOW for me (and I exclaimed it over and over) was the sight of the totally eclipsed Sun through my ETX 90 in 1999. You have to be careful about doing this obviously and make sure your eye is no where near the eyepiece at the diamond ring phases but it really was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The corona seemed alive and the colour of the prominences was like those shocking pink neon lights you used to see. I physicanlly shook for about half an hour afterwards which made my attempts at photographing it through the same instrument quite interesting. The first two shots went off with the flip mirror sending the image into the eyepiece instead of the camera!

In order of wow factor,

The moons craters using the x2 barlow and 10mm oh wow:D

First sight of Jupiter and its moons wow oh wow:eek:

Ring Nebula wow wow cool:D

Orion Nebula wow wow wow freaking wow:eek:

Andromeda Galaxy wow wow so cool :)

M13 wow wow its pretty:)

First time I saw Saturn WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW oh god thats amazing wow:eek::D:eek:

So for me it has to be Saturn for the biggest and best wow factor although all of them are pretty amazing but saturn blew my socks off:headbang:

Warning for the wow seekers.. if your going off early to get a look at Saturn then wrap up warm and take a flask of hot tea or coffee. I got up at 4am and was glued to my telescope from 4am to 6.30am but now have got a nasty stinking cold bug. It was worth it though Saturn will indeed make you go WOW! Heres my little utube vid of what I saw that morning...:)

Andromeda through your scope t'other night

Hi Steve, Yeah that was cool! But the wow factor was looking at it with the sky watcher ultra wide angle lens you let me try out many thank for that. Also helped having a nice clear sky that night too.

Can you remind me what the eye pieces were again? Must try and get myself a pair of them. Good eye pieces certainly help increase the wow factor:D

orion nebula was my first object viewed, then saturn, moon but i must say that when i viewed the moon with binoviewers for the first time was a stunning sight, it looked allmost a 3d effect and was trully another dimension to the hobby when viewing the moon

Hi,

I have had my WOW!! for today, I went to my dark site by the estuary

and had an hour with Saturn. It was windy and I had my grab and go

tripod which was not steady enough to get below 6mm. The next time

I will take the HEQ 5 which will give me more options. Most enjoyable.

mijijim

A number of sights have made me go "wow" over the years. Saturn, the moon, Jupiter, M42, M57, M13, M81 and M82 in a single FoV, etc. But the best (and probably the sight that will cost me the most money in the long run) was the veil nebula through a 20" Obsession + OIII filter at Salisbury Star Party last summer during the Perseids - sigh.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like we have a lot of love for saturn! i myself am a little worried. it's coming up to my purchase date of the 250px Skywatcher! from what i have seen from the sky at night eyepiece interactive simulator, saturn will be the smallest smudge unless using an insane amount of magnification

either way. can't wait to get under some clear skies.

i myself cannot wait to see orion.

M42... first object 3 years ago...

I bought a Meade cheap GOTO scope from Costco dialled m42 in the hand set and peeped into the cheap eyepiece... Wow ! WTF is that :D

It must have been perfect conditions because it looked amazing..

£10k and 3 years later :D

My first look at Saturn still sticks in my mind. Then there was the time I stumbled across the double cluster (stumbled because I was new, had an EQ mount I didn't have a clue how to drive, and didn't have a properly set up finder!!). Awesome! My first view of the moon through an 8 inch SCT blew my socks off - I felt I'd landed in the crater. More recently (last week in fact!) I had another two that will stick with me for a long time - a huge fireball, and seeing very clearly both parts of the Veil Nebula in Olly's 20inch Dob :D

Helen

You always remember Saturn for the first time.

But for me the ultimate wow is any galaxy. It's just mindblowing to wonder how many planets with life there might be out there.

When you think of the complex history on this little old planet, and possibly multiply that millions or billions of times, in ways we can't even imagine, I feel like we're part of something incredible.

I think Carl Sagan said something like life is a way for the universe to know itself. For me a galaxy has it all, stunningly beautiful, and hopefully rammed with life.

Best of all, maybe, just maybe, somewhere out there - who knows, maybe in a parallel universe if there is such a thing - Liverpool are top of the football league and England just won the bid to host the world cup!

Archived