Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kson Super Orthoscopics

Enigma

Twas "kyson" but my apologies, a quick web search shows the company in question "has ceased trading till further notice" so err no, sorry.

I think University Optics sell the same eyepiece, apogee inc used to(may still) but thats all stateside so i guess after postage,duty etc etc you wouldn't save much on buying a baader ortho, which do have a proven reputation.

Or you could try Kokusai Kohki, japan for circle t's- again you've postage & duty to consider.

Hope thats some help??

In the USA these are sold as Apogee Super Abbe Orthos. My enquiries about them a year or two back revealed that they are OK but not regarded quite as sharp and contrasty as the classic "volcano top" orthos. My conclusion then was that, as the volcano tops can be had for £25 or so each used, I'd might as well go for those.

Yeah they did seem a ta pricey for what they are

Unfortunately i have no control over that :eek:

I'm guessing you want orthos for Lunar/planetary?

I'd be tempted to get the best you can if that's so,even if that means waiting a bit- not my staple diet L&P, but i've yet to find anything to beat Orthos on L&P IMHO -Well there probably is, but at a hefty price no doubt.A good eyepiece is one you'll keep for years, cheaper in the long run, methinks.

& if its not for L&P, well, theres probably more suitable ep's out there.

Enigma,

By some strange coincidence i bought a kson super ortho off fleabay this week.(£5) Ok i admit i've been intrigued for a while as to whether they are any good,so thought i'd risk it for a fiver.

It turned up today, i've had a half hour with gaps in the cloud,before the blanket rolled over again, so heres a mini, nay micro review of first light on a 10.5mm kson super orthoscopic.

I compared it with my 9mm & 12.5mm circle t orthos for reference.in my 80ed.

So here goes:

afv wider than a circle t, but with significantly worse edge distortions, so useable field was actually less.

On Jupiter it compared fairly well- bit more of a warm tone,& Orthos are a bit warm toned anyway IMO. Contrast maybe a little down on the circle t's, but ok.

The double double- well that was a suprise! I was aided a little by thin cloud i think, but the kson resolved the DD at a mere 57x amazing!

The 9mm ortho (66x)matched that feat, though honestly the split was clearer in the kson.The 12.5mm (48x) only managed one of the two pairs...

More testing required before i decide if its a keeper or not, I'll give it a cautious thumbs up.

Overall i'd still stand with my earlier comments about getting the best orthos you can, i already had most of mine before the Baaders ever came out.

Archived