Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kentucky fried chicken found in space

Quatermass

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the astroimagers:

There are no stars in the background. Why? short exposure? narrow fov?

Not the field of view but I expect that these images show no stars for the the same reason that the moon landing images often show no stars. It's either show stars and a big bright blob in the middle of the image or show a clear image of the target in the centre of the screen with a dark background.

Now what would have been cool is if NASA had two cameras on board and could take TWO images, one exposed for the brightest area of the image (the comet & reflections) and the other for the darkest area of the background. They could merge the two and make a HDR image which would look literally out of this world!

Check out the full story on the nasa website amazing stuff..

NASA Mission Successfully Flies by Comet Hartley 2 - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

That's comet Hartley?

I was wondering why there was jets of "gas" coming off of it. I was thinking to myself that "that is not just as asteroid........its a comet".

I say Congratulations to NASA for a job well done

Doug

Essex UK

To think I was to lazy to look for it when it was over Cassiopeia a few weeks ago tut tut anyone know where it can be seen now? must make an effort to see it again. Well done NASA:icon_salut:

To think I was to lazy to look for it when it was over Cassiopeia a few weeks ago tut tut anyone know where it can be seen now? must make an effort to see it again. Well done NASA:icon_salut:

I spent all night (4+ hours) trying to find it. If it's out there it's not very bright and probably indistinguishable under light polluted skies from a very faint fuzzy although apparently it's rather bright it's also quite diffuse.

It's a lot lower in the sky now, you might have missed it.

Look to the south (the right) of Procyon in Canis Minor and you might find it there.

Due to bad weather i also didnt have a chance to see it using Cass as a stepping stone. Hopefully i may get to see it soon using Procyon as my guide.

Is it even visible with a 130mm scope?

Look to the south (the right) of Procyon in Canis Minor and you might find it there.

[ATTACH]45601[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45602[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45603[/ATTACH]

Simulation for 01:00 tonight from 51,17' north, 0,45' west.

Thanks Mike I will try but its also firework night tonight and its raining sigh..:eek:

Archived