FLAME AND WITCH HEAD IN ORION

ollypenrice

The flame I have seen in the big Dob and a 10 inch SCT using UHC filters and O111, I think. But tonight we had a look using the 140 refractor unfiltered and there it was. What comes out at you is really the dark spine like dust lane more than the nebulosity. That remained on the limit for me. Nice.

Now the Witch Head is considered photographic but give it a go. Again in the 140 we could see that the background sky lightened in the right area. To call it nebulosity would be stretching it but there is a large patch of sky lighter than the rest. But also the star count is much lower in the lighter part so we assumed the dust of the reflection nebula was the cause. I have never tried for this before and enjoyed it.

Olly

Short but great report! :eek:

Need to give this a go. Well at least the flame neb. :)

I tried for the horse head a few times but missed it. Then again I did the same on the North America nebula and just the other night the seeing was so good it showed quite nicely even on the 15x70s, though the view on the 8" was much more contrasty with the OIII.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived