SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cherry Springs Star Party 2007

The Warthog

The Astronomical Society of Harrisburg, Pa, will be holding its annual Cherry Springs Star Party May 17 to 20, 2007. Preliminary information is at this site: http://www.astronomy.com/asy/community/events/event-info.asp?eventid=165 . The link to the web site gives you information about the 2006 Star Party, and will give you an idea of the event.

I have been to this party twice now. Each time we were rained out until the last night, but the skies on Saturday night made it all worthwhile. I am assured that this has been an unusual run of wet weather. About 400 people have attended the two years I've been there, and there are opportunities to look through all kinds of scopes, as well as to buy scopes and other equipment at reduced prices, and to trade used equipment with other astronomers. The door prizes are worth the trip, if you win, and there are a lot of them.

There are hotels near the park, and decent restaurants that aren't too expensive, as well as a food outlet on site, so cooking shouldn't be too much of an issue. I will be arriving on the Friday, and will be meeting a dozen or so people that I know already. The park is situated in some beautiful, mountainous countryside, and is a good place to hike if you have the energy.

You will find food, travel, and accomodation cheap by UK standards. I have found it to be literally true that what you spend in £'s, we spend in $'s, and we notice it when we travel to the UK. If you buy a scope, that could pay for a chunk of your trip.

If you make the four days part of a longer trip and see some other parts of the US, it would be a great vacation. I would encourage you to think about it as a possible trip this year. The cost of the party is about $50 US for the four days, including accomodation if you are tenting. Please think about it, as I doubt there are many places you can get a sky this dark in the UK.

One more thing - I forgot to mention the excellent series of lectures that are put on daily. They drag people in from all over the place to talk about research, satellites, telescopes, messier marathons, planets, techniques, you name it. All included in the price.

Archived