Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PixInsight RAW or Fit?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you open the image integration tool it only offers FIT as an option, more's the pity. Only just got used to converting raw to tiff for the other stacking progs. Can you actually have a 3 colour FIT image or do you have to split to R-G-B as well I wonder?

David

Edit - you got there before me...

Harry, not my thread but I hope Steve won't mind me asking (or showing my ignorance!) - what do you mean? If you convert something to 16bit, surely it's then always 16bit? Or is this quantum theory :eek:

Harry, not my thread but I hope Steve won't mind me asking (or showing my ignorance!) - what do you mean? If you convert something to 16bit, surely it's then always 16bit? Or is this quantum theory

No problem David, however another question to Harry.

Thinking about it, if my Canon takes images in 16-bit format then what benefit do I get by converting them to 32-bit at all. :eek:

None. Once the image is in a bit depth lower than a (theoretical) maximum such as 16 straight out of the camera then changing to a higher bit depth is nothing more than chopping up your data into smaller bits. Nothing new is added.

I only ever shoot and save 16bit FITS and calibrate, align and combine in Maxim and then save as a 16bit TIFF. Be aware that once you open and then save an image in Photoshop it goes to 15bit. PI may be different in respect of the processing but you eventually end up with an 8bit jpeg for the web and very likely for printing as well. Both displays, monitor or paper can only really deal with seven bit.

Dennis

Hi

During calibration and stacking you gain nothing as this is the way the data is captured :p

while you are processing there can be rounding errors causing posterization.

Now most people will not come across this error and a lot of people choose to use 16 bit only , but PI can process in 32 bit avoiding this problem and being it is easy to do in PI why not :)

Out interest this thread in PI shows the problem

New Tool: HDRComposition

Regards Harry

No problem David, however another question to Harry.

Thinking about it, if my Canon takes images in 16-bit format then what benefit do I get by converting them to 32-bit at all. :eek:

does anyone have a work flow on how to stack in pixinsight i have tried the instruction on pixinsight web sight but to behonest they are very confusing and i don't really get it, is that just me please be honest

Hi

I don't know if you have seen my vids on this subject might help

http://www.harrysastroshed.com/pixinsighthomenewbie.html

Harry

yeah harry i seen them vids and they are a great help for begginers and me, but one of the main reasons in try pixinsight is to see if i get better results calibrating and stacking dslr raw images, and at the min, that i have worked out is to batch format conversion all raw to fits. then from there to make bias and dark masters and flat masters but how do you calibrate the lights with all the masters thanks ian

Hi

I am going to a shamless cop out here , I use a sx camera and calibration is very simple with these and I use AA4 to calibrate my images :eek:

There is the calibration module to which you put in all your hard work, but I have not used it

Now you have made me feel guilty I will have to go and do it :)

I have found the intergration and pixel rejection in Pixinsight to be better than anything else I have tried , so keep going you will get your rewards

harry

yeah harry i seen them vids and they are a great help for begginers and me, but one of the main reasons in try pixinsight is to see if i get better results calibrating and stacking dslr raw images, and at the min, that i have worked out is to batch format conversion all raw to fits. then from there to make bias and dark masters and flat masters but how do you calibrate the lights with all the masters thanks ian

right check, so i'am doing that right then you calibrate the master darks and bias to the flats with the calibration tool and then after that you imageintergration (stack them) but i get lost after that do you calibrate the calibrated flats and master darks and bias with the lights before stacking them

Hi

slightley lost me there but

create master flats / darks and bias then take these to the calibration tool and apply them all to you images creating calibrated images.

There is no need to calibrate the calibration frames ( I think thats what you were saying :eek:

Harry

sorry i think i know where you are coming from now in the tutorial it starts by creating bias and darks and then in the second part it says to calibrate the darks and bias to the flats and in the third part of the tutorial it says to stack them would you like to have a look or am i reading this wrong thanks ian

Got lost in the dust here! I use a Nikon DSLR and therefore end up with .NEF (semi-raw) images. Is there a simple process I can get from there to FITS format? I want to try PI integration, so I don't want to stack in anything else first just to produce FIT files.

David

Archived