SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

QHY8 Flats using Maxim

I am trying to get some flat fields using an old monitor lying on top of the SCT with a T shirt in between the corrector and the LCD screen. The problem I am having is in getting meaningful results from the exposures. Even taking a 20 second shot, I seem to be getting maximum exposure readings of around the 5000 mark - from what I have read i need to be around 20-30,000. Am I correct in saying that when I hover over a pixel on screen that the little i at the bottom of Maxim is the pixel value?

Just popping back to the Obsy to try again.....

Craig,

Turn the information window on (the button that looks like a target), turn the mode to area and the figures for average, max and min will be displayed for the whole image. Assuming the full well capacity will be 60 - 65,000 for your camera, aim for an average, as you have said, of 20-30,000.

Steve..

Have you tried the Sky Flats plug in for Maxim Craig? I did my first flats last week using it and it was really easy - you set the level you want and it iterates the length of exposure until it hits the level you want, and then takes the number of exposures you want.

Helen

Archived