a good pair of binos?

Have a look at the FLO collection. Porro prism (tho old fashioned design) give more for your money, being cheaper to make. For hand holding there is something to be said for 8x50 as well. The FLO Celestron 15x70s and the similar Revelation 15x70s are siunning value but need a camera tripod. I thought my Revelations were a bargain at £70 five years ago and now they are even cheaper.

Of course, if you want the best you could always fantasize about a pair of Leicas for a couple of grand!!

Olly

Even 10x50s seam to shake too much for a steady view when handheld. At least thats what I found so I never used mine that much. You can have a few minutes of steady seeing but after that it's hard, unless you lay on the ground or lean to a wall.

Maybe some 7x50s will provide a steadier view but I never tried some.

With a monopod the 15x70s are easy enough to carry around. I got a giottos 190cm monopod and a manfrotto friction ball head on mine and it's a good combination. The monopod + ballhead are also very usefull with a camera.

For serious bino observations, a tripod mounted set is a must. Not only for steady views, but also so that you don't keep losing tose faint fuzzies each time you move away from the EPs.

My 20x80s are excellent for travelling with, they set up in seconds and are easily shared with novices as the target remains where you left it (even drunken skunks have been allowed to use them).

Archived