Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

IvanT

So you think you've got dark-skies do you?

wow sounds a great place and that fish eye view is awesome!

That is a superb sky, I have not seen a photo like that before. Amazing!

Archie

It's the pure horizons that really make it stand out. I see the Gegenshein, just about, and score 21.6 on the sky quality meter at the Zenith, the same as Namibia. The MW goes to the horizon clearly enough but below about 25 degrees nowhere in Europe gets near that wonderful Chilean sky, alas. I wouldn't mind going to the Atacama to die - happy!

Olly

It's the pure horizons that really make it stand out. I see the Gegenshein, just about, and score 21.6 on the sky quality meter at the Zenith, the same as Namibia. The MW goes to the horizon clearly enough but below about 25 degrees nowhere in Europe gets near that wonderful Chilean sky, alas. I wouldn't mind going to the Atacama to die - happy!

Olly

Olly's right- the photo is only made possible by the amazing air quality at that site, high altitude and unpolluted, dry desert air are what makes all the difference. Dark skies are all very well, but the air quality really makes a huge difference.

and we wonder why Messier et al saw so much. although I am sure thier skies were not like the Chilean ones, I bet they were somewhat better than our average 'dark site' now.

these images are truly stunning.

Thought you guys would appreciate it. I could look/pan/zoom around for hours though to actually stand under it, now that would be something.

I'm off to look for a break in the clouds :)

Don't know about dark skies but I've got plenty of street lights, urban pollution, surrounding buildings and drunks passing by.

Hi,

IN the mid sixties I was in South Yemen, at night we lay on our camp beds

and looked at the sky, amazing. I saw the first Sputnik, it was the only

hardware up there at the time.

That gives my age away.

mijijim.