SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So you think you've got dark-skies do you?

IvanT

It's the pure horizons that really make it stand out. I see the Gegenshein, just about, and score 21.6 on the sky quality meter at the Zenith, the same as Namibia. The MW goes to the horizon clearly enough but below about 25 degrees nowhere in Europe gets near that wonderful Chilean sky, alas. I wouldn't mind going to the Atacama to die - happy!

Olly

It's the pure horizons that really make it stand out. I see the Gegenshein, just about, and score 21.6 on the sky quality meter at the Zenith, the same as Namibia. The MW goes to the horizon clearly enough but below about 25 degrees nowhere in Europe gets near that wonderful Chilean sky, alas. I wouldn't mind going to the Atacama to die - happy!

Olly

Olly's right- the photo is only made possible by the amazing air quality at that site, high altitude and unpolluted, dry desert air are what makes all the difference. Dark skies are all very well, but the air quality really makes a huge difference.

Thought you guys would appreciate it. I could look/pan/zoom around for hours though to actually stand under it, now that would be something.

I'm off to look for a break in the clouds :)

Archived