SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leonids should be at their maximum 19th November

Just a quick reminder that if the weather is clear the Leonids should be at their most intense as the Earth will pass through a stream of debris from comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle. The result: a shower of Leonid meteors.

"We expect an outburst of more than 100 Leonids per hour," says Bill Cooke, the head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office in Huntsville, AL. This pales in comparison to the Leonid storms of 2001 and 2002, when sky watchers saw thousands of meteors.

Even so, a hundred per hour would make the Leonids one of the best showers of 2006.

Good Hunting.

Adrian

According to AN, there was supposed to be another peak last night at about 11.00pm. The evening started well here, with some of the clearest skies I have seen. Had the scope out, tracking down some fuzzies. Got the camera on a tripod ready to capture some tracks. What a fool, I should have known better! :D Then about 9 it started to go hazy, by 10.30 there was total cloud cover. :x :D

naz

• 3 years later...

If the conditions are good i'll be keeping a watchful eye out for the Leonids this month.Chances are though the blumming weather will play its 'trump' card and bring in the clouds.Do we look to the east,towards Leo would it be?

Would a pair of 15 x 70 binos capture the event well enough to utter the words "wow?" :)

• 2 weeks later...
If the conditions are good i'll be keeping a watchful eye out for the Leonids this month.Chances are though the blumming weather will play its 'trump' card and bring in the clouds.Do we look to the east,towards Leo would it be?

Would a pair of 15 x 70 binos capture the event well enough to utter the words "wow?" :)

Naked eye is best,you see more of the sky,lie back on a sun lounger.The meteors could be seen in any direction.

It's pretty much clear here tonight. There are a couple of little silly clouds that are sitting still and really no much of a pain in the backside.

Pretty perfect conditions for watching meteors.

However.................i have been outside for a couple of hours and ALL i have seen is a couple of sporadic meteors.

They were both VERY faint and VERY fast.

I really think the moon is messing things up for the Leonid's.

I have a few family members arriving from the UK at 8am, so i dont think i will get any sleep. I'll be checking the skies every now and then and before i know it my family will be here.

Make hay while the sun shines.

I can go 2 full days without sleep anyway.

I digress........

In summary: Pretty poor Leonid meteor shower thus far.

Archived