SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Could I do much better than 15x70 bins and a WO tripod ?

Worzsel

I can recommend the 15 by 70 binoculars if you want a binocular upgrade. They show more stars and are still just holdable...although a tripod is recommended...

To be honest the tripod might cost more than the binos..

I am planning to upgrade my tesco £20 tripod this Christmas..

Mark

If your on about the Celestron 15x70 bins from FLO, then yep, they seem to be a major bargain at the moment!

I bought a Hama Star 63 tripod from Amazon and have found it to be a bit pants tbh!

It is very flimsy and the tripod head does not appear to come off at all, so you can't upgrade it. Not recommended at all!

I've settled on a Red Snapper RS283 tripod (good deal at the moment as you get a free head with it!) and the Triton Ballhead Grip, which is just great to use!

So with the binos, thats a total outlay of about £150, which is not too bad I rekon for a good binos / tripod / tripod head combination.

Doc

I did order the 15x70s and typically they arrived this morning when I was on the school run and went back to fed ex's depot!

I'm disappointed to read my £13 tripod isn't going to be up to much! Maybe I should have ordered the WO one after all.

Any other tripod recommendations ?

I've just received my Red Snapper rs283 from the Red Snapper web site (£49ish, delivered the next working day)and it is very good indeed! Very well made and much sturdier than the Hama 63 that i got from Amazon.

It can take any tripod head you want and is just far better quality alround than the Hama. It comes in a much better bag too!

They are doing a deal at the moment whereby you get a free tripod head with it - which itself is a good quality item and made from metal instead of the flimsy plastic on the Hama tripod.

Definitely worth a look at the website Worzsel..!!

Doc

I use one of these Velbon Tripods for my Quantum4 15x70, good build quality, light, but not cheap mind, I think about £80 ish. I was planning on getting a just a cheap one but had the good fortune to go into my local camera shop with a old pair of small Leica bins which they gave me a staggering amount of money for considering their age etc. hence I got a decent tripod.

Plus if don't have a decent "L" adapter, possibly came with a plastic one? then I would recommend one of the from FLO Accessories - L-Type Binocular Tripod Adapters

Cheers

Neil

Archived