Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 127mak + first animation

bigal1

Hi all thought i'd post some results i got from saturday night ( 30-10-2010 ) using the 127mak and an spc900 webcam . The first image was captured using a 2x barlow and a barlow extension tube , the second image is just a rescaled version of the first to try get a slightly sharper image and last of all i thought i'd have a try at an animation ( first attempt ) which came out ok but i was limited by the number of frames due to bad weather closing in towards the end of my imaging session .

Regards Alan

Jupiter-animation-30-10-201.gif

post-18835-133877497754_thumb.jpg

post-18835-133877497759_thumb.jpg

its a good picture bigal1 have got same scope just got a web cam will try a take some pics with it useing your methard if pics turn out as good as yours will be the happist pearson on the plant keep up the good work Geoff

Good job Alan.

I have been considering a Skywatcher 127 mak what are you overall impressions?

I've had the skymax 127 for about 8 months now and am very happy with it especially as it was my first scope . I have learned a lot in the time i have had it and also seen quite a lot with it but the 1 thing you have to remember is that is has a very narrow field of view so for widefield stuff its not too cleaver ( which is why i bought a C80ed ) with this is mind i would highly reccomend it to anyone who is interested in looking at or imaging the planets / moon .

Regards Alan

Allan , please post a link with youtube tutorial

thanks

Hi Mario i'm afraid i can't find the link to the video i used but just did a quick search on youtube for adobe imageready animation tutorials and seems there are quite a few , hope this helps thanks .

Regards Alan

VERY IMPRESSIVE. I can't weight to try out my MAK with my flashed 880. Any advice?

A few things i can think of which i always do are :

1. Make sure the image is not too dark as this will lead to ringing in the post processing

2. I only use the shutter speed and gain to adjust the birghtness of the image , the brightness setting is at 50% and stays there ( using the spc880 , spc900 or toucam .

3. The more frames you capture the better as a rule but in case of jupiter not too many as you might get rotation blurring ( recently i'm capturing 3000 frames on jupiter ) .

4. Seeing conditions are very important for planetary imaging , if conditions are not too good your image will not pick up the faint detail or will seem to not find focus / wobble due to the atmosphere so picking a good night is key also if your scope has not cooled enough you may experience the same effects so i try for at least 1 hour cool time but like to leave for 2 if i can ( collimation aswell for the scopes that need it ) .

5. I always set my saturation to at least 80% ( for the philips webcams ) as i like to capture plenty of color but this is personal taste .

6. Focus is very important to grab that fine detail and there are many ways of doing this but my method on the mak is to reduce the gain lower than what i would capture with as my image when capturing is quite bright and a lower gain helps me to see the finer detail on screen , when i'm ready to capture i step it back up .

7. Image scale can help a lot in bringing out the fainter detail so recently i'm using a barlow extension tube ( 2x barlow without the lense end ) on top of my 2x barlow and as long as seeing conditions are ok the image is always way better than with just my 2x barlow ( can always scale down the final image aswell if you want to sharpen it up a bit ) .

Thats about it i think , after a while it becomes very easy once you get to know which settings work best for you . I use WcCtrl to control the webcam and this has the ability to save different setting profiles so i have 1 for the moon , 1 for jupiter , 1 for saturn etc , this helps me to get good constant results and saves a bit of time . Good luck with it and keep at it

Regards Alan

Thanks Alan your a star :p I don't suppose you have a slider setting for clouds. Mines full on at the moment. Only got one night out of October and that was bad seeing :)

I'm eager to get out and try the new advice. I have tried a couple of times with my 200p as with any CCD image it's always gonna be better than with the eye but I don't think they are supposed to be the best for planets :eek:

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

SPACEBOY

Archived