Surrey Observers

Astro_Baby

I was at an event last week hosted by Astronomia which was a beginners night - a chance for newbies with scopes who needed some help to all get together and have some older and/or wiser heads help.

I am neither but I turned up anyway :) It was a good evening BUT (and this is the real point of the post) it did reveal a site for observing from thats pretty dark, relatively easy to find and quite near Dorking (in fact very near Dorking).

It has a car park and a field to use thats obscured from the road by a hedgrow and its public land (at least for the time being :mad: )

Now a year or so ago there was some interest on here to get a group together for astro fans in the Dorking/Reigate/Redhill sort of area but I think it folded as an idea because a suitable site couldnt be found. I did look around back then but missed this site.

This site is about as ideal as its going to get given the proximity of stuff like Gatwick and the M25. Its on a hill and south facing with a good all round aspect.

Sooooo the question is - is anyone interested in perhaps trying to get a small group together. I am not thinking of anything as sophisticated as a club - just a loose association of people who might like to observe en-masse.

Anyone interested post up - I have already asked a few people who I have met in the area.

Yes I saw the NE Surry Group and I did have a look but it seemed to be for imagers - happy to be corrected on that.

Next question - how would interested people like me to organise this. Just name a a date and time and keep you updated on weather ? Mailing group ? Happy to set up a group on here and keep you advised as to when weather is good.

Hi Astrobaby good to hear there are some fellow astronomers nearby!

Was planning on going to that event in Dorking too but when i looked out around 730pm was quite cloudy so gave it a miss - sounds like should have gone anyway.

Maybe a social group here would be the easiest way for everyone to keep in touch, although it would require checking as I don't thin it has the option of notification on it.

The Surrey Amatuers (the mis-spelling is intentional!) is aimed mostly at imagers I'm afraid, but everyone is welcome to join!

How about an initial meeting at a local pub. Set a place, date and a time on this forum and see who turns up. (Wouldn't matter about the cloud cover and you can't please everyone all of the time)). Then see how to take it forward and gauge the interest. I am very new to this as well but am amazed at the amount of 'local' people with a similar interest and it is always better (I think) to meet and discuss these sort of things face to face.

I see from this forum a place in Godstone was a meeting point for a group - does this still happen?

We had two meetings at the White Hart in Godstone. They were just informal get-togethers to sit and have a chat. It is quite a big pub so plenty of room and Godstone was convenient for the M25 - we were trying to attract members from Surrey, Sussex, Kent and South London.

Since Mel has found a site near Dorking, something further west may be better.

Mike

I live on Epsom Common (the two run into each other) and whilst they are pretty secluded from the light, a lot has been done in recent years to improve the stock of wood there. There aren't many places with a clear view of the southern horizon now, I'm afraid.

The Woodman in Ashtead is a good pub though, as is LOMAC.

Okies- here my plan - I am a bit busy till next week. Soooooo I will set up a group on here pronto and we can commune on there. Next week if its clear and I am going up to the common I will post up on here cos I will be there anyway. Failing clear weather we can maybe mneet up at the Wooton Hatch and have a drinkie-poo.

I'm never keen on formalised things myself being a bit of a hippy chick at heart but I'll try and be organised enough to get us all out in a dark field.

Archived