Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice re scope for imaging

Albireo380

I have an HEQ5, a zs66, a dual mount bar and an LVI sutoguider. I am looking for a good 'scope to hang my Canon 500D DSLR off of, to start a bit more serious dabbling in imaging.

Steve (FLO) has suggested that the Skywatcher 80mm ED Pro, with a field flattener might be a good place to start - he suggested that if the supplied focuser had problems, then I could upgrade to a Moonlight.

What he suggests is within my budget, but I am keen to see what others think (so is Steve).

So, with about £700-900 to play with, what do you suggest?

Should I go for the ED80, perhaps an ED100, a WO megrez 90 or something else entirely? :)

Your advice would be most welcome, as I am not sure which route to take.

Thanks in advance :mad:

Tom

I dithered about my decision regarding the ED80 Pro and the Equinox 80. The Equinox is better made, I believe has a nicer focuser, and it has a shorter focal length so has a faster F ratio.

There's little in the price (but the Equinox doesn't come with a finder, EP or diagonal)

For not much more than a new Equinox 80 you could get the TS 80/480 FPL-53 Triplet (aprox £566.00) with optics that are amazingly close to a TMB. They do a field flattener for this scope as well. They also do a 90mm version, but that is probably a bit out of your budget.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-Triplet-FPL53-Apo-80-480mm---f-6---no-colour-fringes.html

John

Tom I've just bought a Borg today on a whim and I'm about to put up for sale my Equinox 80

Moonlited with DC Motor, TRF-2008 Reducer / Flattener makes it F5

Here is an example of the field flatness:

NGC7000 The North America Nebula & IC5070 The Pelican Nebula (H?) Revisit Photon Junkie

Great flat imaging setup but the temptation of an F4 super reducer on the Borg is too much to resist! I'm just putting the ad together just now

Archived