Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another NE astronut...

Altair40

Hi Astro_Baby,

Observing the rings of Saturn was a primary reason for asking and asking and asking for another scope after that 60mm Tasco I had as a youth.

150mm of reflector was what I was after, preferably 200mm. But my lady wife won't quite let me. To me, this scope IS a grab and go. It's just light enough!

If I can see those rings with this scope when the planet arrives in view again - I'll be pretty happy!

Just as important to me are any galaxies or nebula I can find. Did see M31 and the Orion nebula both through my 60mm and 10x50 bino's so I have hope.

Forgot the moon again. Wow!

And Jupiter - best view I've had of that so far. I'd never seen any bands before the 130mm.

When the weather is ruhbarb like now (too windy and next door is setting off fireworks which I really don't want on my mirror), I'll learn a bit more...

:)

The most laughingly confusing thing for me so far (2hrs observing if lucky) is figuring out that GEM of a mount. After Alt/Az, it's WIERD! Dosen't wobble much though...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh but when you have the hang of a GEM - especially with a motor - planets are easy. Even the tiny motor on the EQ2 I found pretty reliable at tracking.

Orion will look good for sure as will open clusters at low power - Pleiades will be quite wonderful I would think.

If your anywehere near Redhill or Worthing your very welcome to come have a look through my 200 if the weather ever gets its act together.

Archived