Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
FLO

Sky at Night magazine

I have been critical in the past of Sky Sky at Night magazine (Piano music! Cute Martian Art! Weak reviews!) so feel I ought to give credit where its due:

IMHO, the last few issues have been steadily improving and this months is a belter!

All content is Astro related, in-depth critical reviews and the Sky Guide section is larger and clearer :thumbright:

So now we have two good UK astro mags (Astronomy Now have improved significantly since S@N has appeared) which must be good.

Actually, not so good for us dealers who now face the cost of advertising in two mags :D

I agree Steve, much better. When I first had my subscription I was a bit concerned, but now, money well spent! Personally though, I don't have any problems with the lighter side (aliens / music) as long as the astronomy is in there as well.

Gary

I've just had my subscription renewal and have decided to continue. I'm also giving PA another 6 month stint as well, mainly to split the two subscriptions over the year!!

I'm a big fan :D mainly because of Isee Stars being in there! :D

I don't subscribe to S@N magazine, unlike PA. I read S@N regularly (coffee shop at Borders :D ) and can't bring myself to buy it regularly. It does not seem very critical in its astro equipment reviews. Also, it seems a little more superficial in its articles compared to AN.

Okay, I probably buy it 4 times a year, and sometimes the CD does have something interesting on it - but as it is the most expensive magazine, I can get AN and PA together for the same price. For my needs, that seems a better deal.

Tom

I am a great fan of S@N Mag. The CD Rom is very informative and lets you see the S@N progs that BBC try to hide from us. It also works on Windows & MAC

Hi Robin - you can also get Sky at Night programmes on the BBC S@N website - I no longer wait for those elusive programmes when they come on the box - I just wait a month and see them on line - reasonable definition now as the bandwidth seems better.

Tom

I have a quick look through each at smiths before I chose which to buy, trouble is that they all seem to have the same subject matter each month.....Steve, saw your add and it looks good, hope it helps brings you success.

m2

I really like Practical Astronomer, bought the Nov issue in telescope house and i think its great. It's not nearly as polished as AN or S@N but it 'feels' like its put together by enthusiastic amateurs. The articles seem to have more depth and detail and seem more, er, practical.

Am REALLY enjoying PA. Saw a link on B&S in time to subscribe from issue 1. Still buy S@N for the program on cd mainly but have seen lately that the mag is less like FOCUS nowadays.

I have been a S@N subscriber since issue 1. However, I have been largely disappointed with the mag overall and have, consequently just cancelled my subscription.

On the other hand, I have just renewed my subscription to PA, as this magazine tends to be aimed more at my areas of interest. Articles on the latest cosmological theories are all well and good, but I'd much rather read a good, in-depth equipment review, or find out how to improve my astrophotos.

Lee.

All content is Astro related,

Obviously your definition of "astro related" differs from mine :D. A damned group test on winter coats???????? :nono:

It's supposed to be an astro magazine not a Debenhams catalogue. :D

A damned group test on winter coats???????? :nono:

I feel the cold :D

And, after reading that I learnt that Goose-down is the best insulator.

My copy came today, to be fair it looks OK (unwanted fashion tips notwithstanding :D)

So will anyone be getting the North Face McMurdo Parka? :D

I am the only person whose "astronomy coat" is just the coat he used to wear to go out in the winter but is now too tatty?

My copy came today, to be fair it looks OK (unwanted fashion tips notwithstanding :D)

So will anyone be getting the North Face McMurdo Parka? :D

I am the only person whose "astronomy coat" is just the coat he used to wear to go out in the winter but is now too tatty?

My Astronomy coat IS my winter coat :D :D

Been wearing the same old coat every winter for 7 years - my bike coat which has been my astro coat since I bought my first scope. Same two jumpers for 9 years. Needed new pair of jeans for this autumn but bought a Telrad instead. My knees are getting colder every month. Time to get the sewing kit and a couple of patches out soon I think - or wait till crop planting and mug a couple of scarecrows :D

I've just read the mag and I have to say the new monthly stargazing guide is excellent, worth keeping even if you throw the mag away after reading.

I have just ordered a subscription to the mag.

I get a free book too - Moore on the Moon.

This is after WHSmiths screwed up for the 3 time in a row... :D

Kain

My coat is an official BAS-logo quilted thing. It was a sample that they had but the idea never took off. The coat is an XXL and just happened to fit me a treat!

Bargain for 20 squids!

Oh, and the mag is getting better and the Sky section is 100% better and red-light friendly!

The wife's paid for my new subscription as a Christmas present, or was that Birthday present???

Thought the Coat guide was great................. :shock: :D WHY?????? OK, not knocking it toooo much, but coat's, next it will be thermal long-jons.... not that I have a pair :D :D

Was a bid disapointed with the Christmas gift guide, was expecting loads. Did get excited about the SAC 4.2 Camera, untill I found out that it was a COMS! #-0

One thing I will give credit for is the Thinsulate hat! Wife got me one last year, defo keeps your head toasty, especially if you've no hair like me :D

Have not tested the Sky section, but was impressed with the fact it was now 12 pages. It goes a bit more indepth & doesn't seam rushed now.

I looked at that SAC4.2 James, not quite as it seemed in S@N is it? Capable of 30 FPS but only 1 FPS to a hard drive in the small print (that wasn't in the mag!!) It's "big brothers" look nice though......but expensive.