SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night magazine

FLO

I have been critical in the past of Sky Sky at Night magazine (Piano music! Cute Martian Art! Weak reviews!) so feel I ought to give credit where its due:

IMHO, the last few issues have been steadily improving and this months is a belter!

All content is Astro related, in-depth critical reviews and the Sky Guide section is larger and clearer :thumbright:

So now we have two good UK astro mags (Astronomy Now have improved significantly since S@N has appeared) which must be good.

Actually, not so good for us dealers who now face the cost of advertising in two mags :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Steve, much better. When I first had my subscription I was a bit concerned, but now, money well spent! Personally though, I don't have any problems with the lighter side (aliens / music) as long as the astronomy is in there as well.

Gary

I don't subscribe to S@N magazine, unlike PA. I read S@N regularly (coffee shop at Borders :D ) and can't bring myself to buy it regularly. It does not seem very critical in its astro equipment reviews. Also, it seems a little more superficial in its articles compared to AN.

Okay, I probably buy it 4 times a year, and sometimes the CD does have something interesting on it - but as it is the most expensive magazine, I can get AN and PA together for the same price. For my needs, that seems a better deal.

Tom

Hi Robin - you can also get Sky at Night programmes on the BBC S@N website - I no longer wait for those elusive programmes when they come on the box - I just wait a month and see them on line - reasonable definition now as the bandwidth seems better.

Tom

I have been a S@N subscriber since issue 1. However, I have been largely disappointed with the mag overall and have, consequently just cancelled my subscription.

On the other hand, I have just renewed my subscription to PA, as this magazine tends to be aimed more at my areas of interest. Articles on the latest cosmological theories are all well and good, but I'd much rather read a good, in-depth equipment review, or find out how to improve my astrophotos.

Lee.

My copy came today, to be fair it looks OK (unwanted fashion tips notwithstanding :D)

So will anyone be getting the North Face McMurdo Parka? :D

I am the only person whose "astronomy coat" is just the coat he used to wear to go out in the winter but is now too tatty?

My copy came today, to be fair it looks OK (unwanted fashion tips notwithstanding :D)

So will anyone be getting the North Face McMurdo Parka? :D

I am the only person whose "astronomy coat" is just the coat he used to wear to go out in the winter but is now too tatty?

My Astronomy coat IS my winter coat :D :D

Been wearing the same old coat every winter for 7 years - my bike coat which has been my astro coat since I bought my first scope. Same two jumpers for 9 years. Needed new pair of jeans for this autumn but bought a Telrad instead. My knees are getting colder every month. Time to get the sewing kit and a couple of patches out soon I think - or wait till crop planting and mug a couple of scarecrows :D

The wife's paid for my new subscription as a Christmas present, or was that Birthday present???

Thought the Coat guide was great................. :shock: :D WHY?????? OK, not knocking it toooo much, but coat's, next it will be thermal long-jons.... not that I have a pair :D :D

Was a bid disapointed with the Christmas gift guide, was expecting loads. Did get excited about the SAC 4.2 Camera, untill I found out that it was a COMS! #-0

One thing I will give credit for is the Thinsulate hat! Wife got me one last year, defo keeps your head toasty, especially if you've no hair like me :D

Have not tested the Sky section, but was impressed with the fact it was now 12 pages. It goes a bit more indepth & doesn't seam rushed now.

Archived