Lunar 100 observing report 27.10.2010

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL 1829mm

Lunation: 20.09 days

Illumination: 77.6%

Not cold

Moon was high enough by 20.45

Number 8 Altai Scarp.

This wonderful scarp comes from the Nectarian (From -3.92 billions years to -3.85 billions years) period and is 291 miles long and 3000 feet deep, it's width is unknown according to VMA. Using the 12.5mm ortho I could trace the whole length from Piccolomini in the south to where the scarp meets Catena Albufeda in the north. Between the trio of craters Polybius C,F & P and the cliffs that make up the scarp there is a flat piece of land and I could detect a white rectangular formation similar in design to a football pitch, I'm sure this is just a trick of the light as after a few minutes the object dissappeared from view.

Number 8 Theophilus, Cyrillus, Catharina

Such a wonderful trio of craters, this trio must rank as one of the easiest to note on the moon's surface. Theophilus is 61 miles in diameter and a mighty 13300 feet deep, and tonight it showed. The interior of Theophilus was jet black and only the craters rim was bathed in sunlight. The next two Cyrilius and Catherina looked splendid in the 9mm ortho and I could detect the mighty bridge that connects these two craters together. The bridge is in fact a ridge between the two, but under certain conditions ressembles a bridge. With the 6mm ortho inserted I could make out the trio of peaks ontop of the mountain in the centre of Cyrilius.

Number 29 Rimae Ariadaeus

Rimae Ariadaeus comes from the Imbrian (From -3.85 billions years to -3.2 billions years) period and is 133 miles long and reaches 4 miles wide, it is also 1500 feet high. It was quite easy to trace it's entire length from Ariadaeus E in the east to the point where it meets Rima Hyginus in the west. Just to the south of the rimae lies Silberschlag and around this crater the land seems very dark.

Number 50 Cayley Plains

Cayley Plains lies just to the south of the Ariadaeus Rimea and consists of an open plain within the plain is Crater Cayley and Crater Whewell. This seems to me to be a remarkably flat piece of land only slightly peppered by a few small craters.

Number 79 Lambert R

Even though the terminator was not illuminating this formation up I could still detect the ghost crater Lambert R. At 24 miles in diameter it's quite easy to see, It's outer walls are very low as the crater has been gobbled by the lava of Mare Imbrium at some stage in it's life.

Number 69 Copernicus secondary craters

Through my 12.5mm ortho I could easily detect many little cratlets no more then 2 miles across littering the floor around crater Pytheas. I counted at least 10 between Pytheas and Montes Carpatus the mountain to the north of Copernicus.

Number 88 Crater Peary

This was a very hard object but I could trace crater Meton then crater Scoreby and finally crater Challis and beyond that only peaks, the crater Peary is the last crater I could see and I could just make out it's outer walls, it's like star hopping but called crater hopping. I'm not dead certain I saw it, but I was defintely in the right vicinity.

Number 93 Dionysius Rays

Just above where the Rimae Ariadaeus finishes at the crater Ariadaeus E lies crater Dionysius. At 11 miles in diameter and 8200 feet high it's quite small but what makes it striking is at the 10, 2, & 5 O'clock positions I could detect slight black ejecta rays coming from the crater onto the floor below. The crater is very bright and the sunlight really catches the outer rim of the crater.

Archived