Solar Viewing?

I was just wondering if it was worth looking for a filter for my 4.5 inch dob? Or should I get another scope entirely? Or is there a filter for a 4.5 inch at all? Also, what advice would would you folks give on getting into watching the sun?

You can easily make your own from Baader Solar Film. Or buy one, if you measure the outside diameter of the top of the tube, that's all the info you need. A 4.5" Dob equipped with a solar film filter should show the sunspots very well indeed.

But don't start observing the sun; it's addictive :)

Don't mean to highjack the thread but I have another question, make that two.

Is there a certain time of year that is better for solar viewing?

Also is it better to use a tracking mount or is a non tracking mount all that is required?

Oh! and thanks Peter. The ED80 will probably be cheaper to filter than the 10" so that's good news.

Is there a certain time of year that is better for solar viewing?

Also is it better to use a tracking mount or is a non tracking mount all that is required?

The sun has to be above the horizon :) obviously this is more likely in summer. But is has to be reasonably clear of clouds too. Hereabouts summer is the cloudiest season.

A non tracking mount is fine, until you start trying to make closeup images.

Baader paper filters are fine, my first filter was made out of this material. Only thing I would add is to look at the filter everytime before you use it, the smallest pin ***** or rip, the filter MUST be destoryed and never used again. Filters can be replaced, your eyes cannot, the sun can be a very dangerous object to look at.

Happy viewing!

Hmm

The Baader Solar film is pretty strong stuff and if looked after (like any optical accessory) will last for many years.

I still use one which is about ten years old...

I've never had any pinholes etc but they can be "blocked" safely with typewriter white correction fluid or similar. A couple of small dabs won't make any difference.

I think every amateur astronomer should have a good solar filter in his/her kit. The solar activity is going to increase over the next few years...an opportunity to good to miss.

Ken

I would like to add that some people say you can see some surface granulation using badder solar film, however with my 4" reflector I have never been able to see any. I don't know if this is due to seeing conditions or my scope.

Just don't expect the amazing quality images you see taken with dedicated solar scopes, but saying that I still love looking at the sun in white light

Archived