Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Space mirrors could create Earth-like haven on Mars

FLO

Mirrors in orbit around Mars could create Earth-like conditions on a small patch of the planet's surface, according to a NASA-funded study. The extra sunlight would provide warmth and solar power for human explorers, but some experts say the mirrors may be hard to deploy.

Scientists and science-fiction authors have long dreamed of turning Mars into a more Earth-like planet for future human colonists. The process, called terraforming, involves thickening Mars's atmosphere and increasing its temperature. But schemes to transform the entire planet would take centuries and would require enormous resources.

Now, Rigel Woida, an engineering student at the University of Arizona in Tucson, US, is investigating the possibility of "terraforming" just a small patch of the planet's surface by focusing sunlight on it from orbiting mirrors.

He received $9000 to study the idea from the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC) in Atlanta, Georgia, US.

The concept calls for 300 reflective balloons, each 150 metres across, arranged side-by-side to create a 1.5-kilometre-wide mirror in orbit around Mars.

Source: New Scientist

Full article Here: http://tinyurl.com/y7tma3

post-12699-133877324671_thumb.jpg

My, Steve, you have been doing some homework, haven't you? It's all magnificently interesting, but a bit fantastic IMHO. Space elevators thousands of miles high?!? gigantic mirrors floating in space?!? Making Mars habitable?!?

It's science fiction to me, but nevertheless an inventive idea.

Andrew

The physics of space elevators was worked out years ago. I think the main problem with its implementation are cost and material. A cable going up into geosynchronous orbit would break of its own weight. The balloons could be filled with any inert gas; it wouldn't take much. The mathematics of keeping an array of balloons in areosynchronous orbit pointed at the same square kilometer all the time would be interesting, though. It would spoil the seeing for anyone using a scope at night, too.

nanotechnology has the potential to create materials that are able to be strong enough to create space elevators. They are possible using modern technology but the base of the cable would need to be excessively large. Arthur C Clarke was a great visionary and had lots of great ideas that are in current use but were once sci-fi

I have often wondered why someone doesn't put an enormous reflector into orbit capable of reflecting sunlight back to Earth, then renting daylight. Think about it, a patch of daylight ... at night 8)

I'll get my coat :?

Archived