Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Knew it wouldn't be long

Ordered the Celestron 15x70 from FLO haven't even got them yet and the boy is plaguing me for a Telescope for Christmas:p

I'm happy as he has always been interested in the universe/watches all the space programmes on discovery and it's better than playing on a computer console and frying his brain;)

So the question is which one would be a decent scope for him and me:evil6:

He's 10 tallish and im 5/10 so would need something that we both can look through.

Price wise £400 max

was looking at this

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

or this

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian

Which would be the better for him to view through, would also like to add a web cam so we can view through the laptop, Is this possible on these two scopes,

Which is the better one.

Thanks Steve

Both are good scopes but the dob would be cheaper and easier for you both to observe through, but if you wanted to use a webcam you would benefit more from the explorer as it has an eq mount to which you can add motor drives to track objects as they move across the sky.

Do you think you should start with something smaller as there are always bargains up for grabs on here. Just a thought.

I would go for the Dob - both of you can easily use it. You could always put the tube on an EQ mount at a later date if you wanted to. Dobsonian is just the type of mount both scopes you mention are "Newtonian" reflectors.

The 250PX is a big scope - maybe go for the 200 size and use the change to get a couple of decent eyepieces and a couple of good atlases and a red-light torch and a Telrad finder and............................

If we were to go for the Dob what would be a suitable motorized mount to add at a later date:confused:

It would have to be a heavy duty one for such a large scope, maybe an HEQ5. Take a look at this video to see how big (it shows the XT10 which is very similar):

In the end of the video the boy shows Saturn using a webcam.

mmm... Choices so basically the Skyliner 200p dob is the same scope as the Explorer 200p just the extra £104 gets you the EQ5 mount plus i can add motors at a later date?

Almost, the explorer 200p is a tad shorter. A dob mount only requires to be set on the floor while EQs need to be aligned and move in an unnatural way, which takes some time getting used to. The EQ also weights a bit more with the counter weights and all, and you may find the eyepiece at an odd position when pointing at different areas of the sky, forcing you to loosen the rings and rotate the scope.

In short:

A dob = simplicity, speed and ease of use with the downside of manual tracking.

An EQ = tracking with some more fussing around. :)

If you have the time, you should read this: So you want to buy a telescope ? - Part 1

It will allow you to better understand the pros and cons of all the choices available.

Spot on Regan - the 200P on an EQ5 is the better option if you want something that is upgradeable in the future. It would also be "Just enough" to use for some astro pics of eg the Moon and some very basic DSO's if motorised (very basic being the emphasis!!)

How easy is setup in your home situation? Nothing is easier or quicker than a Dob. Ideally could you not get along to a local astro soc observing session and try some first hand? Then you would know which was for you. I use both types of mounts but do like a nice simple Dob for visual observing.

Olly

How easy is setup in your home situation? Nothing is easier or quicker than a Dob. Ideally could you not get along to a local astro soc observing session and try some first hand? Then you would know which was for you. I use both types of mounts but do like a nice simple Dob for visual observing.

Olly

Setup at home is no problem, i have a outhouse plus a decent size garden that backs on to a dark park :)

From the requirements you give the 200P on the eq5 would appear to be the best.

Also at some time people get the urge to try astrophotography and for that you need an equitorial mount. This would seem to be a probable option as you mention attaching a webcam. So AP is the next step it would seem.

Regan

Although the Explorer is "upgradeable" (just), my experience is that a German equatorial mount + 68lb total weight will mean that the telescope will not get used. The dobsonian is just grab and go - and will be easier to handle.

The best telescope to get is the one that you'll use every night and if that's the dob or a small refractor, then that's the one to get.

(BTW: Proper astrophotography requires a better mount than the EQ5 + a really expensive CCD. Forget it for now)

Regan

Although the Explorer is "upgradeable" (just), my experience is that a German equatorial mount + 68lb total weight will mean that the telescope will not get used. The dobsonian is just grab and go - and will be easier to handle.

I have to admit, i bought a secondhand 200p with eq5 last week and its heavy..I leave it in the conservator from where i can look through the glass for the moon etc, but i carry it outside (just about) in one piece..and its heavy and awkward for one person, but do-able. Once set up with the pole, there's only one knob to turn to stay on target which is handy...

BUT i'm no expert, just wha i've experienced so far..

cheers

Just the card box used to deliver it. A case for it costs quite a bit.

However you can put the mount on the trunk and the tube across the back seat with the seat belts on. It may require collimation after if the road is too bumpy.

Archived