Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What can I do with a handheld scanner?

Hi everyone,

I have a GRE-PSR 255 handheld radio scanner, and I was wondering if it has any applications in radio astronomy? While the small antenna may not be able to pick up emissions from Jupiter or the Sun, will it be able to pick up anything from satellites such as the ISS and amateur radio satellites? Does anyone have any tips on satellite tracking with a scanner, as I have no idea where to start.

Thanks.

You're probably best making/buying antennas for the bands you wish to use, although you will probably find either a lack of sensitivity or too much sensitivity on the HF (short wave) bands. I think ISS does voice crossband on 2m/70cm (145Mhz/432Mhz), and there are weather satellites you can hear, and decode with the proper software/PC audio connection. Listening to space noise itself is usually done in conjunction with a PC programme. I'm not a radio ham any more, but you will find thousands of scanner/ham sites out there with more info you can shake a stick at! Visiting the RSGB website might be a good start.

PS No idea of the capabilities of your scanner, so some of this might be completely irrelevant.

David

Archived