Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

mark993

Essex/South East

Hi all are there any star parties in the Essex or South East planned any time soon?:)

I wouldnt of thought so until the Spring one at Kelling

Have a word with your local AS's as they may have some observing nights etc

My club is hosting a public astronomy evening on 13th Nov, details here -

http://www.cpac.org.uk/opennight.asp

At the last one on 16th Oct we were lucky with clear skies, we had 450 + members

of the public turn up, one of our best events.

If you come, please read the location carefully, as some go to Hadleigh Castle

and cant find us, we are 1 mile away at the other end of the country park.

Fingers crossed for a clear night !! and maybe see you there.

Regards, Ed.

My club is hosting a public astronomy evening on 13th Nov, details here -

http://www.cpac.org.uk/opennight.asp

At the last one on 16th Oct we were lucky with clear skies, we had 450 + members

of the public turn up, one of our best events.

If you come, please read the location carefully, as some go to Hadleigh Castle

and cant find us, we are 1 mile away at the other end of the country park.

Fingers crossed for a clear night !! and maybe see you there.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks very much i will do my best to come along i have been looking a bit at the skys myself but being a newbie i haven't really found much just yet, but i'm working on it lol.

Thanks again

You would be more than welcome at any of my clubs events. Details

easily found from the link I posted.

Please do not worry about being a newbie. If it was an experts only club

then none of us would turn up !!

Best regards, Ed.

Hi there. I'm the publicity and events organiser for North Essex Astronomical Society, North Essex Astronomical Society we have talks each month at Witham and we're doing a star party with the BBC Stargazing Live programme on 3rd Jan 2011 at Braintree Discovery Centre. Listings will be up on our web site soon. hope ths helps

Paul

From a quick look through Fed Astro there are the following clubs that may be near to you and all I suspect be holding public evenings during the forthcoming few months:

N. E. Essex (as above) Witham.

CAA, Cambridge

LDRA, Letchworth.

St Neots, Cambs.

Hertford, Herts.

Castle Pt, Essex - Hadleigh. Guess this could be too far awat from Saffron Waldon.

I travel through Witham daily and I suspect it could also be too far. You would have to get to A120 at Stansted along the A120 to Braintree then down the A1018. Guess 30-35 miles.

Cambridge should be easy from Safron Waldon. Pick up the M11 and get off at the A1303. Guess 12-15 miles.

St Neots would mean getting to Buntingford A507, across to the A1 then North. Fair distance.

Letchworth is same route as St Neots but no need for the A1 as the A507 puts you in Letchworth. Guess 15 miles.

Hertford is Buntingford then down the A10. Guess 15-20 miles but easy.

The Cambridge, Letchworth and Hertford clubs are probably your closest. So check out their web sites. :D

St Neots is advertising their club and evenings on SGL.;)

By the way I have, possibly incorrectly, assumed that you want local public evenings and not a camping event. The term Star Parties is used for both. :):icon_scratch:

Hi

Not sure if this helps but you might be interested in this.

Herstmonceux observatory in east sussex have for the last few years in september held a weekend camping event with trade stands and beer tent including use of the large telescopes. I have been a couple of times and really enjoyed it. their website should have details of this plus they are looking at more evening events i was told today.

To be honest i dont really mind i am just looking to meet some people and get some help getting started.

Thanks for all the info unfortuntaly i will be away for 6 months from march but when i get back i will definitley keep looking

By the way I have, possibly incorrectly, assumed that you want local public evenings and not a camping event. The term Star Parties is used for both. :):icon_scratch:

Edited by mark993