Narrowband

Belt of Orion...

robertm

This image shows the area around the Horsehead and Flame nebula as well as the Hunters belt in Ha. The image has been processed to bring out as much of the background nebulosity as possible (so it may look a bit over processed). The three bright stars running diagonally are the belt in the Constellation of Orion. I need many more sub-exposures to complete this but here is the first cut of 120mins in Ha.

I was a bit surprised how well this came out to say the least. A couple of days playing with PI to get the processing to how I wanted it and subdueing the noise worked wonders. Originally I was in two minds about imaging this considering the nearly full moon but as the old addage goes... if you don't try...

Anyway, I hope you like it and any criticism is much appreciated.

5105324795_62af57cdae_z.jpg

Link to half resolution here http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/5105324795_f23cea42b6_o.jpg

Capture details:

Exposure: 12 x 600s (120mins) Baader Ha 7nm

Camera: FLI ML 8300 @-30C

Optics: Canon 200L lens @ f/3.2

Conditions: Clear but nearly full moon

Sky Magnitude: approx 3.5

Date: 21/10/2010

Guiding: Lodestar + converted 50mm finder

Bias/Darks calibration in MaximDL, all other processing in PI.

TFL

Robert

Archived