sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

SmartGuider vs PHD

After months of getting OK results with the LVI Smartguider I thought I'd have a go at using PHD to guide. I've also setup with EQMod which is amazing but that's another topic.

On Wednesday I set out to try a few targets and not take any serious images - just push and see how well the guiding would do. So after setting up I picked IC405 and when nicely centered in the imager I took a peek at the QHY5 output and there were stars which, after a bit of focusing, were ok for guiding. I tried the calibration which failed the first time but then after tweaking the settings I was up and running in about 2 minutes. I started shooting 5 minute subs and when the first appeared the stars were, as far as I'm concerned, perfectly round. So I tried 10 minutes and had the same result. I've pushed it to 20 minutes and will try longer, just for fun, next time I'm out.

The whole experience was fantastic - compared to the anxious wait I have with the smartguider. PHD makes you feel like you're involved and can fix any issues. So no more smart guiding for me. Dummy guiding works better in my opinion. :)

This is 6 x 10min Ha(7nm) subs quickly combined in PixInsight. I'm going to go back and add RG&B next.

post-20393-133877495308_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark7331
spelling errors

Glad it worked for you, I was playing around with it the other night, as I wanted to muck around with the options. Nice image BTW.

Nadeem.

Edited by Deneb

Cheers Nadeem :( That means a lot to me.

Have you used the log feature in PHD - I turned it on as a matter of course and yesterday played with PECPrep. It read the log straight in! Really cool. Thankfully my PEC errors appear to be tiny. Phew!:)

Mark, QHY5 and PHD I have got to 60 mins guiding so far :) the only trailing I have found is when a cable was slightly dragging over a tripod leg or cloud. I found balance was critical though, never bothered with PEC logging though as that is more for unguided I believe. Like Deneb, I use the graph and star profile all the time.

Oh and use the ST4 cable option I think it is easier and probably better than the Ascom pulse method, although that is a rather unqualified statement as I have not tried the latter.

Edited by MarkF

Cheers Mark. I am so excited about QHY5 and PHD! EQASCOM pulse guiding was an absolute dream. So cool and the smoothest I've ever had.

I think, as you say, balance has to be as near perfect as can be and probably polar alignment which is where ESASCOM has nailed it for me.

After a year of struggling I feel that now I know what I'm doing. :)

P.S. you guys are brilliant. Thank you!

Edited by mark7331
forgot to say thank you
Cheers Mark. I am so excited about QHY5 and PHD! EQASCOM pulse guiding was an absolute dream. So cool and the smoothest I've ever had.

I think, as you say, balance has to be as near perfect as can be and probably polar alignment which is where ESASCOM has nailed it for me.

After a year of struggling I feel that now I know what I'm doing. :)

P.S. you guys are brilliant. Thank you!

I have never tried the pulse guiding, just select camera in PHD under mount I think it is and plug an ST4 cable from the QHY5 to the Mount and it talks direct to the mount rather than sending a signal to the computer to work out and send back. If you don't have the cable stick with what you have as it works :(

Mark I bought an EQDirect thingy from FLO. £40ish and it's fantastic.

I used to use the ST4 with my LVI but now have less power leads and cables and a far better result. :)

Ah right, I made my own cable up for the direct connection, but still use the ST4 cable from the camera to the mount, but hey if it works stick with it, I never tried without as the advice I read was to use the ST4 cable. EQmod is marvellous though once you get your head around it, polar alignment with it is a doddle too, far easier than setting your polar scope circles up.