Which Scope/Mount is this, and......

what could I expect to see and photograph with it.

I have the SW 127MAK which was bought as a starter scope and to test the waters in imagery. I have had a few "ok" results with a webcam but want to move on.

I saw this scope in another thread and wondered if it's the SW 200p that appears to be popular with imaging.

Many thanks

Tony

post-19789-133877495133_thumb.jpg

Actually I think it's the 150P on an EQ3-2 mount. Still a nice scope. Your mak might be better for webcam imaging of planets though because of it's long focal length (twice as long as the 150P).

It is identical to the Celestron Omni 6" reflector, but if you zoom the photo enough, the plate under the focuser appears to be two words, a short one and a long one, which would make it the Skywatcher. The two scopes are indistiguishable.

Thank you all for your replies. My intentions are to use my next scope with my DSLR ( Canon 5D2 ) for DSO imaging. So on reflection the SW 200p would be well suited.

I was also thinking of upgrading the mount to something more suitable for this task, any thoughts on this please.

Many thanks

Tony

The biggest mount you can stretch your budget too after you get you're OTA will give you you're best results. a HEQ5 is a lot more stable then an EQ5 because it can hold more weight, and an EQ6 is more stable then a HEQ5.

Don't forget theres alot of weight on the mount once you attach cameras etc to the OTA.

Thanks for the info.

Could I use the HC from my SW MAK 127 GoTo with ie the Skywatcher EQ6 Syntrek, in effect making it into the EQ6 PRO SynScan a saving of over £110.

If I choose one of these mounts what sort of OTA could I add in future if I decide to go bigger.

Thanks

Tony

I've no idea how you would hybridize the mount but as a deep sky imager I would say that the HEQ5 Synscan is the minimum mount but a good minimum. If you can recreate it somewhow then well and good! But in imaging the mount is not quite all, but nearly...

Olly

Archived