740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

LBN 468, IC 5146, NGC 281 & NGC 7635

mftoet

Hi,

I would like to share some recently acquired results with you, all taken with a SBIG ST-8300M.

The first image is of Lynds Bright Nebula 468. Not so "bright" according to me... The colour frames were 3x3 binned (as an experiment). I didn't like the outcome of that. I tend to get better results with the colours unbinned, just like the luminance. It's not "Ivan Eder" or "Thomas Davis" quality and I also don't like it as much as Boren's version of it, but still, here it is.

post-20224-133877494965_thumb.jpg

L = 8x 15 minutes, RGB = 6x 10 minutes (3x3 binned) for each channel.

Tak FSQ-106ED at f/5 on AP Mach1 mount.

post-20224-133877494972_thumb.jpg

Taken at the "Wateren" starparty in the Netherlands on October 8, 2010. SQM ~ 21.0 (which is dark for Dutch skies).

The second image, taken at that same starparty with the same setup, is a rather deep one of the Cocoon Nebula. October 9, 2010.

post-20224-133877494975_thumb.jpg

L = 8x 15 minutes, RGB = 6x 10 minutes (unbinned) for each channel.

Then, for something completely different, two 7 nm H-alpha images taken on the same night at 3000 mm focal length with a Vixen VMC260 at f/11.5. Both images were taken from my balcony at home (SQM ~ 18.5) and both were exposed 8x 20 minutes, 2x2 binned.

The Pacman Nebula. October 16, 2010.

post-20224-133877494984_thumb.jpg

The Bubble Nebula. October 16, 2010.

post-20224-133877494991_thumb.jpg

Thanks for watching. Further details can be found on my website.

Edited by mftoet

Morning Maurice. You have been busy. I like your dark nebula and 3x3 is pretty radical! Still it got you the signal and from an imperfect site that is quite something. And your Vixen is doing really well on the AP. Real detail at a mighty three metres of focal length. That is very exciting stuff.

By the way, remember Cachou chasing a boar you were trying to photograph? She did it once too often this week and got a nasty cut as a result. She's okay though.

Olly

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Daz, yes, that is the area around PV Cephi. There's a close-up of it on my website. The nebula is called the Gyulbudaghian's Nebula or HH 215. HH 215 sounds easier...

Olly, I wouldn't call a magnitude 21.0 "an imperfect site"... (Okay, Les Granges measures 21.5). ;-) Pet Cachou for me (and Minet, if Cach hasn't eaten her).

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Daz, yes, that is the area around PV Cephi. There's a close-up of it on my website. The nebula is called the Gyulbudaghian's Nebula or HH 215. HH 215 sounds easier...

Olly, I wouldn't call a magnitude 21.0 "an imperfect site"... (Okay, Les Granges measures 21.5). ;-) Pet Cachou for me (and Minet, if Cach hasn't eaten her).

Ah no, that's a good site. My apologies to the skies of the Netherlands!

Olly

Very nice images - well shot and very well processed!

About LBN 468 - I think you have done a very good job in processing it. I have grown a very initimate acauaintance with this object during processing, and I know very well what should be the color of the bright nebula if the curves are processed together (i.e. not pushing up red more than green or blue, for example.). I favor this type of processing as it gives me a feeling of the real thing, whereas separate processing of the curves seems to me to be too much of a sacrifice for art on expense of astronomy. This is only my personal feeling, and - OF COURSE - each of us can have their own interpretation, and everything (in my view) is fully legit and okay.

Coming back to this image: your resutl is very much loyal to what should come out of a well balanced RGB Master, which was curve-processed together.

You could work more on some other aspects of the image - such as local contrast, and the low level nebulosity. But looking at this image: all the data is there, and the processing is just in line.

Cheers,

Harel :)