Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Metal Pier EQ6 Pro

Hi,

A friend of mine has offered to build me a metal pier, he owns a steelworks with access to a machine shop so here is an ideal opportunity to build and design a permanent setup.

He said get some designs and ideas together and we can start from there. So can I call on you guys to offer up some drawings/dimensions for this project, it can be for the base, pier top or any other element you can think of that would make the ultimate base for my new EQ6 Pro.

The thing is if he is willing to put the time and effort into making one, I am sure if we could keep the designs simple enough and the materials to a reasonable cost I could ask him to make two or three if anyone was interested.

So any help or pointers would be most welcome.

Acme

Just messing, have a look here http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/117154-pier-mkii-finally-finished.html

Mine is a concrete filled waste pipe with an external diameter of 160mm, how are you planning on fixing this to the ground? Bolted to a concrete block of buried into the ground and the concrete poured around it?

Lots to think about but at the end of the day its your pier so how would you like it to turn out?

Hi !

I build a pier this summer for my HEQ5 and I used somthing simular to waste pipe with a diameter of 200mm reinforced with iron bars.

I found this to be a little bit to weak realy, it dident handle vibrations pretty well so I hade to reinfoce it with 3 external concreat "bars" on the sides, thats gives somthing near a "diameter" of 350 mm and that did the trick for me.

A few things to have in mind when designing are, easy to set up the mount head, ability to horyzontaly align i all when in place (mount+telescope) and also ablitity to align it all in northly direction for coarse polar aligning.

I once read in a article that the diameter are your frend :) and that turned out to be pretty right.

Good luck and please forgive my bad English :)

Kind regards

Michael

Thanks guy's,

I was thinking of a burried concreate block with 4 vertical bolts and the pier/mount fixed to them. It would be easy to take the mount with me if I moved house again.

I can design the basics no problem, I just thought it would be interesting to post this and assess what could be done.....Measure twice, cut once and all that!!!

Acme

• 2 weeks later...

Archived