Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with a Celestron C70

Hi Guys

My Son's Scout group have a Celestron C70 Mak that they use for daylight stuff like bird watching and (sometimes) for the astronomy badge.

Apparently it's "broken" and they want me to fix it. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to disassemble one?

I just want to know if I have a chance of fixing it.

Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny, I'm sure folks here would like to help, perhaps you could explain

what the problem is that needs fixing ?

The closest I've come to your problem, is collimating an ETX 90 (not easy !) and not

recommended, unless you realise you might regret starting this ! ( The ETX 90 is

a 90mm Mak ) and fixing the internal flip mirror that didn't always return to it's

correct position.

Best regards, Ed.

Hi Ed

Thanks for the reply, the truth is I don't really know what the problem is!

I was just trying to get some information as to whether it was worth volunteering to try and fix the scope or tell them it's scrap.

When I took my ETX125 apart, there was plenty of information on the web as to how to dissassemble the scope and mount. I tried some searches but could not find anything similar for the C70 so I was hoping to get some pointers from someone like yourself who has been forced down the route of repair.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, like yourself I cannot find anything specific on a C70 stripdown.

If you've had your ETX 125 apart, then you may well find you could do the

same on the C70.

But like me, you are probably wary of messing up someone elses kit.

But if the C70 is not useable, maybe there's nothing to lose ? I think

I would discuss with the Scout leaders the options. I'm guessing that

a professional repair could cost more than a new replacement ?

So maybe take a chance on a DIY fix ?

Good luck, Ed. Edit : just found this on the C90 http://www.astronomyasylum.com/c90.html don't know how similar

the inside of a C90 is to the C70, but the best I can find, Ed.

Hi Ed,

I think I'm coming to the same conclusion as you that there is nothing to lose!

I will probably tell them that I will take it for scrap and then have a go anyway, that way they won't be dissapointed.

The link you sent was useful and gave me a few more views of what the C70 might be like. It's low end and so can't be that much to go wrong unless something was broken or it was dropped.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Danny

Archived