Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

Keiran

Southern Imaging day...

61 posts in this topic

I reckon it will have to be a paying event to cover the costs of the venue and speakers. Not to mention a lunch if everyone wants one.

Don't mind paying, but i think we could all arange our own food if that is ok with the venue, will keep the cost down:glasses1:

Also, are we bring our scopes and bits with us to show and get advice or is this to much for the first meet..just an idea

Read all the earlier posts and ....

venue sounds good and cost is not a problem if it means gaining some valuable knowledge......

:)

Guildford is perfect for me, (half hour away):)

I'm also happy to pay for for the day at the facility

John

Happy to pay around the £30 for the day, even if lunch is extra.

Okay, very positive feedback on the venue, Hugh (The Thing) has said he will try and find out abit more about the uni as he is in the area offen...

So all that is left is to arrange a date?

Keiran

Guildford is good for me too and happy to pay. A date before Christmas could be a problem for me though as almost every weekend is now booked with something.

I'd be happy to come along and pay if the event is to be held in Guildford.

Not too worried about the date, however maybe the sooner the better so we can make the most of what we learn with the winter nights :eek:

Steve

Edited by SkyExplorer

I'm interested in this too. I'm only a couple of miles from Guildford and would be willing to pay the sort prices already suggested. Any Saturday or Sunday would be great.

Nightjar

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would only be able to make a Saturday on weekends, as I have Sunday commitments.

Okay, hugh spoke to surry uni, and for sandwichs and and room hire for the day is £40+pp here is what they sent him...

http://portal.surrey.ac.uk/portal/page?_pageid=750,669312&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

I have spoken to my partner, whom works in Langstone Hotel....

£35.50- Arrival tea, coffee and mini croissants,

Mid morning tea, coffee biscuits,

Lunch, two course buffet lunch in the brasserie restaurant

afternoon tea, coffee and mini doughnuts.....

Any thoughts??

Keiran

Edited by Keiran

All that food, yum yum! And £5 less.

I imagine the speakers will be wanting a fee, which will be on top of the venue price? So perhaps looking closer to £50-60?

That all sounds okay to me, £40 for food etc then some on top for a speaker.

What I can't see in this thread is peoples expectations for the day.

Is it a newbies/relative newbies guide to imaging, basics/hints/tips/how too's/improve your techniques and all that, which is the kind of thing I'm looking for....

I hope that's not thrown a spanner in the works!

Cheers

Neil

Edited by neilm

Langston Hotel sounds really good. Stayed there once, nice. One of the things I would like to get from this course is, how to take photo's through my LX90 using my EOS 5D. What equipment would I need, how to set it all up, etc. Hope this can be included in the course.

Clear sky's, Chris.

Langston Hotel sounds great to me and a good price too:), I assume that the speakers will need some expenses too? thats not unreasonable to expect, so I'm assuming £50 to £60.

Put me down if thats a goer.:eek:

John

The Mullard Space Lab doesn't look to be a goer. There is no direct contact with them, only thru UCL Estates and Facilities Department and no contact name. I've e-mailed and will chase, but won't hold my breath!

You want to try through the dept of physics and Astronomy, Dr Jonathan Tennyson was head tutor last year, or through University of London Observatory - they're normally helpful.

Mike (alumnus)

Waiting on a few more people to let me now what they want to do.

Hi Keiran, is that the Langstone Hotel on Hayling Island?

Nice venue with a very nice outlook. :)

I won't be able to make a pre-christmas date though. Every single Saturday is now booked right through. No probs after Christmas though.

You cant really arrange this to be on a night as well as its a large chance it will be cloudy, I think just a day thing would be better unless it was held at a star party

The first imaging day was just a day thing and worked very well from what people wrote. There was a bit solar viewing/imaging i think.

I've done a lot of sea fishing out of Hayling Island so at least i know how to get there.

How close are we to setting this up and finalising location and price?

Im just enquiring about a couple of things and ill get back to you... :)