SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31... at last!

ollypenrice

Phew, back on the net after a long breakdown. I took this last week with guest Nick Boeree using the Tak FSQ85 at 328mm and f3.9. Boy, I love that f ratio!!

Luminance was 2 hours and was a charm to work on. I added some short subs to the basic set at 5 mins but didn't get deeper into the core with them really. The colour was a nightmare for some reason. I got a red galaxy and green stars using my usual method, so I reshot the lot and it did the same! I used Pi to calibrate and just bullied it into shape. Very odd. (Colour 7x5 per channel unbinned.) Background sky also in Pi. (You need it!)

I loved the look of Martin's POW and wanted to get this year's M31 a bit more subtle than last year's.

Olly

1056334673_daDu7-XL.jpg

1056334733_794xp-XL.jpg

Olly

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicely bullied! :) I really like this colour scheme for M31, although it never comes out that way for me for some reason. I'd very much like to blend your Lum with my RGB if you are able to host it somewhere? :)

Olly, have you tried using the HDR wavelet tool on this one? The very core of M31 responds very well to it, and while it doesnt necessarily render the most aesthetically pleasing image, the exercise is worth it just for the amount of extra detail that is just hidden there in the data.

Try with 3x3 interpolation, Lum mask, and vary the number of layers. Doing this I have seen dust detail right down to the very centre centre of the core :p

As Martin mentioned, its very tough to catch that faint outer glow from most of the UK, and then when we do get a good crisp clear night like last night its invariably full of moonlight you can read by :s

Cheers

Tim

Archived