Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Chatham, Kent!

KingsWings

Hi everyone

I'm completely new to astronomy. I've always been extremely interested in the subject but never really thought of taking it up as a hobby as I've been too busy working! I now would really like to start devoting some of my spare time to getting to know astronomy better. I haven't bought anything yet which seems to have been a wise decision (I wouldn't have had a clue where to start anyway!) and if anyone could point me in the direction of any clubs in my area or if you are a member of a club in my area please let me know as I think this might be an ideal place to start and learn from people with all the experience! :)

Abby (KingsWings)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Abby and welcome to the forum.

There is no rush to get any gear until you can form a picture of what it is you really want. There is a lot of tosh out there but equally there are some very good scopes that are reasonable on the pocket. This forum has proved an excellent resource for me and I'm sure it will be for you too. There is a search facility at the top of the page to recall past questions and responses which is also makes for good reading as well as the tutorials.

Clear skies and take your time.

James

Hi Abby,

A very warm welcome to SGL, if you have no knowledge of the subject I always recommend starting with binoculars and downloading such free programs as Stellarium to help you learn your way about the night sky, visit your public library, read as much as possible and join a local society and finally, ask the forum members as many questions as you like, they love to help this is why SGL is the best there is, you will then shortly be in a position to decide on your next step. Hope you enjoy our company.

John.

"how bad is the LP gonna be in hyde park?????"

Probably quite bad Starstalker - but it's organised by Widescreen Centre (just off Baker St) and they bring kit along to use - I expect they include all the necessary filters and put on a great meet. Also superb with advice for newbies and very friendly - ideal start for Abby - hope to make it there myself one day :)

Archived