Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello - returning newbie to the hobby

Trevor-Austin

Hi people,

Been away from telescopes for about 4 years now and to be honest wasn't much more than a beginner then:)

Had a few of the Meade goto scopes and finally an LX90 which I loved but had to sell due to a business failure.

Just managed to buy a really good Oprion optics Europa 150 for a fantastic price (or at least I think it is!) on what I thought was an EQ5 mount with polar finder, etc. It is marked GEM and I think from some of my enquiries to FLO about a goto conversion it isn't?

The views I have had of Jupiter, etc so far have been really impressive, easily as good as my LX from memory but I'm struggling without goto at the moment.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I sort of agree, however I've got a very interested wife too and we both have fairly limited time so with a goto its so easy and quick on the odd good night in the midlands to dash out do a quick align and spend the time looking at the available sights rather than getting her freezing cold and giving up before I've found anything, lol:)

Hi Trevor and welcome to the forum.

I have a Goto now but I had spent ages with a 4" reflector trying to find stuff and looking back, it was a great learning curve. However with that size of scope, I was never sure if it was the case that I couldn't find something, or whether in fact I was in the correct place but with the added 'benefit' of light pollution, couldn't resolve it to know that I had found it. If you've got GOTO, you can always turn it off if you want to 'discover' the object manually, but really it depend on the size of the scope.

Clear skies

James

It's got me too:) I said "I think I want to get a scope again, used to have a really nice one before I met you and miss it" and she said, "how exciting I've never looked through one can I pay for half of it" but she's a bit weird, likes football too now and is nearly as excited about playing inter Milan as I am. I think she must have been put together wrong:)

Think I might have been a touch lucky this time;)

Archived