Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

No idea

bish

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked many times before. Briefly I am finally making the move out of my flat into a house with a garden. I've only just started looking so as you know it may be quite a while before I actually move in but wanted to get some ideas.

I've got the green light to build an observatory when we move. The most DIY I have ever done is putting up shelves. I am tempted to just save for one of those roll off roof obs that cost about £1200 or so. The other option is to buy a normal shed and try to put the roof on runners myself. We intend to have a large garden but want to keep the obs just big enough for a scope and couple of shelves. If I used a pier it would mean I don't need such a big shed as a tripod but they seem to cost about £500. Otherwise it means having a bigger obs and using the tripod still.

Anybody else been in similar position? I just wonder whether paying the extra and avoiding messing around making mistakes might be the way to go. Any useful tips or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

hi bish

if you look at my obsy on here it cost £600 total and did all myself ,research first , but its not to bad. good luck bud if you need advice you only have to ask. if you are in wales ill give you a hand, yours noakesy

If you did go down the route of a "roll off shed" it is worth the extra to get a quality T&G one, the real cheapos I would expect to severly flex with the slot in the floor. The builders of mine added some extra bracing on the bottom and I added 4 RA brackets to the inside (wall to floor) to reduce the flexture.

Have a look at the "blog in my signature" (you will have to go back a few pages!!) to find my own build. Shed 6'x6' plus all the bits was around £600 BUT that includes a professional base and all fittings etc are stainless steel.

The pier was under £75 all in from the local steel fabricators and is included in the above price

Have a look at the "blog in my signature" (you will have to go back a few pages!!) to find my own build. Shed 6'x6' plus all the bits was around £600 BUT that includes a professional base and all fittings etc are stainless steel.

The pier was under £75 all in from the local steel fabricators and is included in the above price

I like your blog Bizibilder - a good build and entertaining to boot! I wish I had your metal working equipment!

Archived