The Orion nebula?

I currently do not have a filter for viewing nebula, and lately have been looking in the area where I think orisons nebula should be, and all I really see are a couple of stars surrounded with what looks like a bluish haze. Am I looking at the nebula in the sword or am I looking at something else entirely?

hi there

this sounds right. what are you observing with? I find the Orion Nebula is best with about 80x magnification. within the nebula there are four obvious stars in a trapezoid shape and hence the name for this multiple star system, The Trapezium.

the nebula will never show any colour visually, like most DSOs. it is though one of the most amazing things in the night sky in my view.

I am using an Orion XT4.5 with the default plossl eyepieces. one is 25mm and the other 10mm. Am I also correct in assuming that it is the bright hing just below(relative to the "feet") belt of Orion? Also, if I am currently thinking of getting a UHC filter (probably the lumicon) so i can actually see nebula.

A UHC filter will enhance the contrast on Nebulae but will also make the image somewhat darker, especially with your aperture. you may be better with something a little less severe like Light Pollution Reduction - Baader Neodymium Filter

the Orion Nebula is in the sword of Orion; if the three main stars which form the belt are at 9-3 O'clock then the belt will come off at an angle to the left from the left hand star. the nebula is about the same distance from the left hand star as the right hand star in the main belt. the image in this link of Orion may help more than my somewhat wandering description! M42/43 is the nebula.

File:Orion constelation PP3 map PL.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Use the low power eyepiece (25mm) on the nebula. When I first viewed it I used too much power and was only seeing the central region and the 4 stars you describe (the Trapezium). With a low power, the full scale of the nebula can be seen. An UHC filter does enhance things a bit but, with this object, I prefer the unfiltered view.

Your 4.5" scope should show it nicely - my 4" scope, at low power, does a really nice job on it. As usual, observe under as dark skies as possible - moonlight or streetlights rather kill nebulae as they do galaxies.

I agree - observe the nebula from a dark site if possible. The Lumicon UHC will give good results - I use it for nearly all my nebula viewing - though when viewing M42 at a dark site I prefer the unfiltered view. At a light-polluted site I would use the UHC. Also try to view when Orion is due south, i.e. highest in the sky, as there will then be the minimum of atmospheric light-blocking.

Archived