740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

PHD Guiding- I think i am getting somewhere

Hi Guys

I finally got PHD to go through calibration successfully and it started guiding icon_cheers.gif

Unfortunately the clouds rolled then icon_scratch.gif

I targetted capella in the guide scope and that was used to try out the program.

I must admit that in the FOV of the spc900 on the ST80 guidescope i could not see any other stars.

What should i do to the settings to bring out the fainter stars in the FOV of the guidescope ?

I was using 3.5 secs exposure in PHD.

Graham

Just to show there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and because there seem to be a lot of posts at the moment with people tearing hair out over PHD.....

This is an SPC900 unmodified on a 9x50 finderguider guiding a Canon 1000D on an ED80 imaging M45 with APT, mounted on a HEQ5 Synscan using PHD via the Celestron driver and the mount handset.

New Bitmap Image.bmp

Just to show there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and because there seem to be a lot of posts at the moment with people tearing hair out over PHD.....

This is an SPC900 unmodified on a 9x50 finderguider guiding a Canon 1000D on an ED80 imaging M45 with APT, mounted on a HEQ5 Synscan using PHD via the Celestron driver and the mount handset.

I'd be happy getting that number of stars on the QHY5 through a ST80, at the moment I've yet to find one star to guide on :D Just waiting for the next clear night to try again.

The slider control is a gamma control it only effects the brightness of the displayed image. It wont make any difference to the guiding. Too long an exposure may mean that the mount wont be corrected quickly enough, but this will be dependant on what focal length you are working at and how well you are polar aligned. It would be worth modding the camera for long exposure though. It's well worth looking out for a second hand Meade DSI camera as these can be found for under a hundred pound. The DSI camera is very sensitive and will give you more choice of stars.

Regards

Kevin