Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Speedy

jupiter ...transit

excuse my ignorance but is there a transit of one of jupiters moons happening right now (sat 16th oct 22.20 gmt)? Noticed a small black spot on jupiter, never noticed one before in my 80mm

Edited by Speedy

hi.

yes, well sort of what you are seeing is the shadow of ganymede.

the actual transit of the moon itself finished around 9.30

europa is due to start a transit very shortly

totally cloudy now where i am , but did catch the shadow transit and ganymede leaving the disc, myself.

lance

Edited by essex sky

Yes there is speedy. What you are actually seeing now is Ganymede's shadow. Ganymede itself transited earlier, ending at 21:24. Between 22:49 tonight and 01:31, Europa will also transit Jupiter, and it's shadow will transit between 00:04 and 02:48, starting just a minute after Ganymede's shadow transit ends at 00:03!

I'm trying to watch this myself, but a big patch of cloud has rolled in...

Edited by Tantalus

Essex sky got there as I was typing this... :D Yeah I also saw the shadow and Ganymede leaving the disc.

Edited by Tantalus

yep

was hoping to see the europa events myself

but totally clouded out now.

saw it rolling in on 'sat 24' but did not think it would arrive so quickly. mind you the seeing is terrible, whats it like for you guys.

lance

Yes - this is my first shadow transit I've seen :p

I spent a while looking at the moon for a bit, turned to Jupiter and there it was nipped in to check the Sky & Telescope java doodad (Jupiter's Moons) to find out what I was seeing - Ganymede's shadow :)

Now I wish I had some better eyepieces... and a better scope :D

Edited by Adrian

I'm now wathcing Europa's shadow move across the disc, and Io closing in for it's occultation at 01:03...

It was a super night watching the moons and their shadows dance around. Quite a treat to get two transits in close succession :D

Yep I got it too. Very nice. At 2100 GMT I saw a shadow of a transit, what looked like the GRS plus another moon emerging from behind Jupiter. Great stuff, although the seeing was iffy to say the least!