SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leonids 18/19th November

Just a reminder that the Leonids are putting on their firework show this weekend.

Predicitions are that the early hours of the 19th could well produce the best results.

Sun loungers and blankets at the ready!!!!

I've read and re-read the article but I still can't find the explanation bit where it says why the show stops this year. At the bottom of the article is a web link for more information where I discovered even less. More Googling hasn't clarified the situation either so I can't help further with the detail AM.

Captain Chaos

The issue should be whether or not the particle stream is replenished or not. It may be a while until the comet passes again, but there will still be large amounts of dust there, regardless. Earth will pass through the stream, unless there's some radical change in our orbit or the orbit of the stream. I figue, we'd notice, ("we" being astronomers), if Earth had somehow changed course. Perhaps 2123 is when Temple/Tuttle is due to replenish the stream? Until then, the Leonids will most likely diminish, but not flat disappear.

I *think* that it's more a case that the shows that have been put on in the last few years are going to stop untill that time.

The annual meteor shower will continue at the more usual activity - but we won't get the "storms" again till 2132.

Ant

Well, I managed to wake to the sound of my alarm, but did I get to see any of the leonid showers? Nope, something put paid to any chance of that, a security light, with the magnitude of Sirius within a distance of 3 light years from earth. Wasn't happy... :hmph: By the sounds of things, it wasn't a memorable display... :D

Caz

Wow, that's a new one on me. Not too sure about it, either. Unless our orbit or the dust left by the comet has changed orbit, I don't see how it could just quit. Since I don't get Sky AT Night, how can I verify this?

AM

My understanding is that this year was due to be a high level of activity due to the Earth passing through a trail of debris left during the 19th Century so the stream was still quite concentrated/cohesive and hadn't had time to drift and spread out. Hence the expected high numbers of meteors.

After this year we are not due to encounter concentrated stream until 2132.

Cheers

ian

Sat out last night from 2330 till 0500 this am. Lots of really cold fog patches drifting over me - had to climb INTO the sleeping bag.

Counted 41 meteors - only 2 really bright ones - and I'm no expert but a Good 15 AT LEAST weren't Leonids!!!! Early in the session most seemed to be radiating from somewhere near Auriga. None of them were as impressive as the one from the previous night at 0158 hrs - that was a beauty.

Cold night.

Archived