Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQmod GPS

I've just taken delivery of my HiAstro EQmod thingy and I think I'm having a problem connecting my Synta GPS mouse to it.

I can access the mouse using LSViewer and GPSVisualise without any problems. The GPS reports lots of fixes but when I try to get EQmod to connect it says its "Sampling Coorindate and Time..." but nothing happens.

How long should I wait? Or what am I going wrong (more likely).

Connected to COM3 @ 4800,n,8,1.

Thanks

Yes. If I don't EQmod complains. I've also rebooted, checked the com port assignment and run nothing else but EQmod. Can't think of anything else.

Does it take some time to get the data. It can take a couple of minutes to fix when connected to the handset?

Cheers.

Mark

P.S. I'm running Vista.

Yes. NMEA. I've been through a factory reset, then selected output format as NMEA and if I disconnect the GPS and reconnect it the LSViewer starts reporting data in NMEA format.

Is there a log/trace file in EQmod to show what it's sending to the GPS?

Thanks

Mark

Is there a log/trace file in EQmod to show what it's sending to the GPS?

EQASCOM doesn't send much to the GPS - the GPS sends data to EQASCOM. The NMEA messages types you need to configure the GPS to send are GGA, GLL and RMC.

There isn't a received NMEA trace in the current version of EQASCOM - I'll slip one into the next release.

Chris.

EQASCOM doesn't send much to the GPS - the GPS sends data to EQASCOM. The NMEA messages types you need to configure the GPS to send are GGA, GLL and RMC.

Ok thanks Chris. A log would be handy. I have a virtual com port I wrote - if I can get it to work in vista i'll hook it up and get it to dump out the traffic. Might help.

I think your problem is a COM port conflict, if you can see it with the viewer then EQmod should see it. Try cycling thru the COM ports in EQmod.

No it's not a port conflict. It recognises the port that the GPS is connected to just doesn't appear to be getting/reading any data. If I try any other port (that has not been assigned) it complains.

EQASCOM V1.22j has been released to the EQMOD Yahoo groups files section.

The NMEA trace is available by right clicking on the "GPS Data" frame border (left click restores the usual display). By default it will show the individual (parsed) NMEA messages received but there is an option to show the raw buffer contents as received by EQASCOM (typically several messages come in at once).

Looking through the EQMOd Y! group archives there have been several posts from folks struggling to get their Synta GPS units communicating. All seem to have been resolved by either re-installing/updating the GPS driver or forcing it to use different a COM Port address.

Chris.

Archived